Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Forever Young

"May the good lord be with you
Down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness
Surround you when you're far from home
And may you grow to be proud
Dignified and true
And do unto others
As you'd have done to you
Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart you'll always stay
Forever young, forever young
May good fortune be with you
May your guiding light be strong
Build a stairway to heaven
With a prince or a vagabond
And may you never love in vain
And in my heart you'll always remain
Forever young, forever young
And when you finally fly away
I'll be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell
But whatever road you choose
I'm right behind you, win or lose
Forever young, forever young" ~ Rod Stewart
The efforts needed to maintain a solid friendship is a labour of love. Shayla was loyal to the one person who had seen her through a myriad of changes; typical of a young girl, growing up. For Shayla, the other half of her care-free soul was her best friend, Chantel. The measure of their friendship was forged in secret codes, nicknames only they knew and adoration for everything Disney. While both in appearances were the opposites of each other; their capacity to dream big saw each one hold the other in reverence. Soft-spoken Chantel seemed to blossom off of the energy Shayla and her shared for almost 21 years of companionship. For these two girls, nothing limited them in pursuing their dreams and maintaining their friendship.
Growing up, they took the common things in life and made them adventures of the heart. Summer days were spent swimming at Wood Lake in Oyama, BC. They caught rays of sunshine together; while never holding back what teenage girl woes were bothering them. Often at parks such as Kaloya surrounded by Kalamalka Lake, they would swings off a tree branch, over the water.
After Shayla passed away, I found a video of the two of them, on a set of playground swings, with my daughter singing: “Swing Life Away”- by Rise Against. Their sweet innocence reminded me how no matter how much we grow up, a part of us sways to the rhythms of life- never too late to embrace the kid in all of us.
Last December, I found myself sitting across from Chantel, and reaching out to her I gathered what strength I had to give her something. This wasn’t an ordinary gift, rather one from the collection of Shayla’s Christmas presents that she would never open.
Since my daughter’s death, I have reached out to those who knew Shayla and saw another side to my child that she reserved for the closest of friends. Both Chantel and I have spent quality time together, immersed in stories of grandeur and silliness. The endless hours spent playing Disney Monopoly and tears shed over those who broken their hearts.
Earlier this year, Chantel and her mother Rene went to Wood Lake and placed several pebbles for Shayla. They stood together, a weight upon themselves in mourning the loss of the girl, who wanted to bring change to the world. For my daughter, Rene’s home was another place of refuge; where amidst the walls of Chantel’s bedroom, the genuineness of what they shared was sheltered.


As I write this, Shayla’s best friend and her family are in Disneyland. I received an email from Chantel asking where she and her mother could put some pebbles. This brought me grace in knowing they were thinking of my daughter at one of the happiest places on earth. I offered ideas and smiled, knowing amongst the spirit of old Walt Disney, a part of The Heart Pebble Movement is being carried on.

By T L. Alton

2 comments:

  1. Such amazing memories you have shared here Tonya! wow, I can tell you put your heart into your writing, I can feel it. And you are so creative with your writing. And I adore the songs, "Sway Life Away," and "Forever Young." Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so cool shayla would love that . more places more pebbles its so nice to remember a great person with doing something so symbolic and great . i love paul xx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)