Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Where History Embraces Travelling Stones



Earlier this year, I reconnected with an old friend of mine; someone who had attended, along with her husband, Shayla’s Celebration of Life and paid respect by their attendance. This woman and her family had seen my daughter grow up, as we were all part of a neighbourhood where our doors were always open to the children in the area.
On many occasions throughout my life she had listened to my woes of marriage, child rearing and my own insecurities as a parent.  She was someone who was well educated and kind to me, even after I was divorced. We shared coffees and meals together; while I continued on my quest for stability. Her kindness came in many forms, for over the years my friend bought me gifts, treated me to things I could never afford and at Christmas was generous to always put something extra in my card.
There are friendships that may seem one-sided, off balance in the sense that one does not feel equal to the other. This, while unintentional, was exactly how I felt. I never believed I was equal in her eyes, only because that is how I made myself accept as true. On the contrary, this friend was deeply supportive; enriching my life with her enthusiastic support of my writing career. In her company I always felt comforted by the warmth of her friendship. The difference for me came down to social status. I was never in a position to feel financially secure and over time, felt less adequate.
After Shayla’s passing, I never expected to speak again. Yet, one night I felt compelled to reach out and call her. What I was not expecting to hear was grand stories of adventures, inspired by The Heart Pebble Movement.
My friend had the wonderful opportunity to travel with one of her friends to the Amazon. They joined in several preplanned activities. In my friends pocket were several agate stones she had gathered from her beach in front of her home on Okanagan Lake in Lake Country, British Columbia. What interested in me right away about this journey is the lake she collected her pebbles from. The massive waters connect around to Shayla’s father’s home, where my daughter had spent countless hours in the summertime, swimming.
It was my friends plan to place several of these agates in special places in South America. On the dugout canoe tour of the Amazon River, word had spread quickly of the movement in memory of Shayla. At some point, the boat tour operator asked: “Does everyone have their pebbles for Shayla?” As numerous woman nodded in agreement, it was a collective effort as they placed their stones in the Amazon River for my daughter.
On her journey, my friend was able to find herself on top of the 15th-century Inca site located 2,430 metres above sea level; Machu Picchu. She spent her time searching for the perfect spot for her agate. Voted one of the new Seven Wonders of the World, this UNESCO World Heritage Site and Peruvian Historical Sanctuary is considered “sacred geography.” When she departed, a pebble from thousands of miles away, remained behind.
The last of her agates found its way into a Peruvian Village, where in a small hut a mother was busy cooking food for her family. As my friend entered, she saw a young girl. Approaching her, she opened up her hand as the child peeked watchfully, her eyes fixed on the pebble. Pointing to it, she said: “Shae- Shae.” My friend motioned for the girl to take it. Slowly, the girl got a hold of the agate into her small hand and began skipping along the inside of the hut. With a smile upon her face, she clutched the stone and began chanting: “Shae- Shae!”
Listening to these stories over the telephone, I was taken aback by the sheer beauty; the brilliant impact of how a pebble can bring change and inspiration.  In sharing her expeditions with me, my friend made me believe in her paying tribute was an offering of peace. In a world that has been filled with much chaos and sorrow, I welcomed the kind-hearted gestures that saw our paths cross over for a second time.
Even though we shared moments of bliss through this cause, once again we have parted each other’s company. It seems that change has thrust us forward and our friendship has not endured. However, what remains is a connection to one another to places where the travelling pebbles linger on.  
By T L. Alton

3 comments:

  1. An amazing and deep touching story Tonya!! It's amazing how with our friendships where there are times we don't talk with them, and yet the love and connection we have for that person is always there....
    Love You!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such true words from the heart, my dear friend! We have people come into our lives for many reasons, some stay, while others move on, but always they leave imprints (: Love to you!

      Delete
  2. Awww you have left an imprint in my heart :) I am so grateful for you. I love you XOXOX

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)