Saturday, October 6, 2012

Gratitude without Technology

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.  ~Albert Schweitzer
I pondered over whether to post a blog on gratitude this Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. The harsh reality of opening my heart is such a paradox that the mere notion I have something to be thankful for is illogical. Since Shayla’s passing I have come thru three seasons; times of the year that saw me move in slow motion thru spring, summer, autumn and soon full circle into December.
When my daughter died unexpectedly, I found my senses more in tune than ever before. I began to notice things that previous would have merely passed me by, without a care. I started to watch people and their interaction with one another, or lack of it. Having dinner with my partner, I watched in disdain as another couple seated by us, had their cell phones on and were texting. It was clear it was not each other and I wanted to walk up to them and ask: “How would you feel if suddenly one of you died? Would whoever you are texting really matter?”  
My heightened sense of tuning into those who are tuning out took a whole new level of condescension when I was stopped at a traffic light. Glancing over to the play yard of a local School, I was astounded to see a mother speaking on her cell; her back was to her child on a swing. She was robotically pushing the chain link, uninterested in any connection to her youngster.  This should have been a special bonding moment between mother and child. Now as a result of intrusive technology, the connection was severed by a small device, robbing them of their precious time.
For me, it is an unforgiving slap on my face when I am witness to a society that has never been so connected by technology, yet so disconnected by means of real communication.
As a bereaved parent, I yearn to hold my child’s hand in mine, to smell her jasmine perfume lingering on her favourite sweatshirt. I want to twirl her wisps of coloured hair in my fingertips and swap clothes as we burst into laughter over nothing.
This holiday weekend, I won't do any of those things that we take for granted. Instead, I will place pebbles for a life ended far too soon! I will recall how with Shayla, she was an incredible light in my world. The deep connection we shared was unparallel to any other person I have known.
If there is anything I am thankful for this Thanksgiving is that I was blessed for twenty-one years, with a spark of life, that when we shared love, we embraced from our hearts the flame within each of us.
~ T L. Alton 

4 comments:

  1. Tonya yours and Shayla's Relationship is one of the Strongest Mother Daughter Bond I have ever seen in my life:) It is absolutely beautiful what you both share. Thank you for sharing with us the Beautiful Bond and Love there is between you and Shayla. Shayla was a Light in this world and still is to this day! I can see how Incredibly Grateful You are Tonya. Lots of Love, Mindy XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind words and following my blog instills in me your deep appreciation for my posts. Thank you Mindy for your comments and being a part of such an extraordinary movement, which anyone can participate in. Indeed, I was graced for many years with a remarkable, gifted daughter, whose compassion for others knew no bounds. I will continue to share with the world as I hope they do so with me! Much Love & Light, Tonya

      Delete
    2. You are very welcome Tonya. It is Truly an Honour to be a part of The Heart Pebble Movement. I think it is truly amazing what you and Shayla share. I am in complete awe about it. It is simply beautiful. You and Shayla had so much love and appreciation for each other. I send You Much Love & Light too Tonya Always XOX

      Delete
  2. Some people just don't know which they have hey ! I feel for you . its great you are sharing with us . i love you xoox

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)