Monday, October 22, 2012

A World Not Divided

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven
A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together…
The Byrds (adapted from the Book of Ecclesiastes )

This posting is dedicated to those people who took part in The Heart Pebble Movement, earlier this year. Ironically, the location of pebbles from both ladies was in Hawaii. I find myself deeply connected with the Aloha spirit; where the magical place of tranquility and natural beauty draw me near. The air infused with scents of flora and fauna entices those seeking replenishment. It is where I found myself vacationing in splendor and the beautiful memories of Shayla, last February.
One of those who placed a pebble for my daughter was Diane. I had met her and her husband on the plane ride to Maui. She sent a photograph which had deep meaning for me. It was a snapshot of her Hawaiian lei in the form of a heart, with a pebble shaped in the same image. The lovely white moon seashell necklace was stunning. Tightly and intricately sewn in circular patterns are hundreds of white seashells connected to the Kukui nuts. These are an important symbol for the Hawaiian people, and were once used in ceremonial jewelry. The vivid image sent to me by Diane was a source of comfort and inspiration.

For those who have suffered the loss of a child, it seems the smallest thing can hold such deep meaning. The notion of someone in this world, capturing a picture of a pebble and taking the time to send it to me, is one I cherish as a true blessing. It takes the legacy of Shayla and links it to those whose distance does not matter. The Heart Pebble Movement sees people gathering stones, rocks and smoothed pebbles, uniting us and honouring the life of my daughter.
The other placement was of a small, rose quartz heart gem stone. A former classmate from College, Janay Babuin Funk, was on holiday with her family, in Hawaii. I received several brilliant photos of the pink stone. I have a larger one that belonged to Shayla and to see a smaller version on the black sand of a tropical paradise, replaced my strife with harmony.  Rose Quartz is connected to the heart and evokes self-acceptance, while enhancing all forms of love: self love, mother love, and kindness. By setting it upon the famous "black sand" beaches of Hawaii, such as Punaluu Black Sand Beach, and Kehena Beach, created instantaneously by the violent interaction between hot lava and sea water, it balances out, much like the yin-yang symbol. The divided part of the symbol gives a sense of continual movement of these two energies causing everything to happen.


As I continue to receive displays of honour for a life taken far too soon, I add to the collection of travelling pebbles.  I encourage people to join in the strength of this movement that sees a simple act of kindness continue to leave a ripple effect. Whether you reside in Africa or Switzerland, this cause is something everyone can do for a young lady who believed in hope; perching in the soul of all of us.   
My email is power2b@shaw.ca
I encourage those interested, to share The Heart Pebble Movement and lend their original ideas, along with compassion to a cause that links us all in healing.
By T L. Alton

1 comment:

  1. i love the pictures its such agreat movement hope it carries on with more people from everywhere . i love u paul xx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)