Friday, October 12, 2012

The Legacy Stone




Today, my intention was to continue blogging about my trip to Maui in February of this year. When I awoke, the sorrowfulness marking this particular day was going to take my words on its own journey of the heart.  
It was ten months ago, a Police Officer stood in my home, delivering the phrase of death that changed my world, “I am sorry to tell you but…”
In this post I will not be dwelling on something that I will never, even as a writer for over twenty –years is able to convey. Therefore, I want to share about the lasting tribute I am working on and is connected to the road where her life was lost.
McKinley Landing, on the outskirts of Kelowna, British Columbia is a winding, often treacherous stretch of road that coils around a reservoir and brings people out to the stunning views of Okanagan Lake. The tight-knit community and picturesque scenery were the reasons for my former husband to buy a home and settle in the area.
Shayla grew up for nine years in the McKinley Landing suburbs as I shared custody of our daughter, after her father and I divorced. From the very first frightening moments of driving along the terrible road, I cursed it under my breath. With it dips, curves, and sheer drops of the road, I never did like to travel on it.
Last year, a happy occasion blessed the family with a new addition to the family. In December, Shayla called me from Kamloops, announcing she was taking a solo trip to see her family. I was apprehensive and tried to convince my daughter to either wait for her father to come pick her up or else take the bus in January. She was determined to make the trek herself and much to my relief, arrived safely at her destination. It was not until December 12 that Shayla, driving out from her father’s on a brilliant sky blue day, would not reach her destination- her sisters in Kelowna.
This year, Mayor and Council gave approval for over a half million dollars to fix the road.  I championed for change as my daughter’s voice was silenced. I continue to stand up for her and others. Now because of these safety road measures becoming complete, this road will save lives, not take them! For me, this is nowhere near what I could have ever imagined my life would be consumed with. Yet as a bereaved parent, I simply could not remain quiet and bring death to another family, because I didn’t do anything. Instead, it has been my heart desire to see the barricades and road being widened. Most of all changes to McKinley Landing Road are now happening because my daughter’s life was taken. I plan on being back in Kelowna at the end of November, as a permanent memorial will be installed, in memory of my daughter.
Today, on the 10 month mark of the greatest loss to me, I spent time designing the memorial. It was created with all things reflective of Shayla. I am not yet able to share the whole creation, but it will be formed using an oversize piece of granite stone.  The symbolism associated with it is that it is considered a "guardian stone" that offers protection.  When granite is extracted from the ocean floor, it is believed that the stone helps keep emotions calm, because it contains both elements of the ocean and the grounding properties of earth.  Reflective of who Shayla was; it is a vision of a peacekeeper in many senses. It also aids in diplomacy and improves people's cooperation. I know Shayla would want to open my eyes to see the bigger picture more clearly instead of overwhelmed with all of the negativity surrounding her loss. The placement of this stone embraces the tranquil beauty of the reservoir while it echoes the golden heart of my daughter.
Tomorrow I will meet with the company who will hopefully be able to envision my design and plans, further constructing the monument. It is my desire to have it installed permanently and placed as travellers enter McKinley Landing Road, before all of the stretch of barricades begins. There will also be room to go and pay tribute to Shayla, as many have asked if they would be able to place a flower or simply view the memorial.
This ‘unfinished business’ matters to me, to our daughter’s family and friends.  It is a mark of respect for a young woman, whose incomplete dreams of making her imprint on this world, will be honoured in a way that no one could have ever imagined.
By T L. Alton

1 comment:

  1. the memorial is going to look great fitting for such a wonderful young lady . you have done well shayla would be proud cant wait to see it xoo

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)