Sunday, September 22, 2013

Show Me The Way



Life is like sea-water; it never gets quite sweet until it is drawn up into heaven. ~J.P. Richter
 
"Waterfall"


While visiting England in May with Paul, I discovered a place where the essence of my daughter resided. We had made plans to spend a day apart  in the city. For me, it was a chance to explore the alley ways, cobblestones and structures which compose Hays Galleria situated in the London Borough of Southwark. For my partner, it was an opportunity to take a tour of the Chelsea Museum and Stadium tour of Stamford Bridge

As I wandered the pathway by the River Thames, I delighted in taking snapshots of London, through the lens of Shayla’s camera. Vibrant images of renowned landmarks caught my attention. If I found an alley to saunter along, I took it. If a door caught my attention, I opened it and if I felt led to an area…I meandered through the narrow streets to discover what lay ahead.

Nearing a public area in Horselydown Square, I was drawn in by the mesmerizing sound of water. I slowly walked, yet felt guided to a fountain of grand proportions. The exceptional design had streams of water playfully spouting outwards and down over a basin. Delicate characters of woman, frolicked- immersed in and around- for dramatic effect. Around the foundation of the fountain were a variety of items which immediately struck a chord with me. A journal and pen, a camera, sunglasses and a wallet were cast in bronze. These images gripped at my tender heart as several of them had been returned to me… on the day my daughter passed away. The pair of sculptured dancing shoes, found my tears match the flow of water trickling, down the side of the cistern. 
 
A Disney Chinese New Year Envelope with The Heart Pebble Movement link inside, propped against the bronze camera


The creation of artwork entitled “Waterfall” was created in 1991 by Antony Donaldson and characterizes the free-spirit of womanhood, in all of its glory.
Surrounded by the monumental love and bond I continue to share with my beloved daughter, I knew she had led me to this. It was a chance to ponder, and embrace all that we had shared in 21 years on earth, together.

A Pebble release of Amethyst- Shayla's birthstone


I left briefly to find the tiny, quaint flower shop I had seen, along my way. After speaking with a man from Paris and sharing the story of Shayla, he created a delicate arrangement for me to place at the fountain. When he gave it to me, he could see the pain within and wished me reconciliation with my loss. 

Returning to the “Waterfall,” I closed my eyes for a moment and honoured the place I was in. Then I penned heartfelt sentiments to my babygirl and left the card with the bouquet. 



In finding such an extraordinary creation, amongst the stones and brickwork, I know that Shayla would want me to see the light in all things. Thankfully, flickering through the darkness I carried that day… was the grace of illumination… opening my eyes and my heart to its very existence. 



Down To the River to Pray ~ Alison Krauss

By T.L. Alton

1 comment:

  1. Very touching agreat city london is with so many hidden treasures shayla would have loved it there now she gets to share it with you while watching over you

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)