Tuesday, September 17, 2013

An Ocean Away



To see the world in a grain of sand,
and to see heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hands,
and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake



In the summer, I went camping by myself…back to a treasured spot where Shayla and I had shared many years ago. While I met some interesting people, I was fortunate to be introduced to Amber and Grant, along with their two daughters, Rylee and Rhaya. 

Mother & Daughter

Under the evening sky, in their presence, I told the story of my beloved Shayla.  I explained The Heart Pebble Movement I formed to ensure her legacy carried on. I spoke of my daughter's rock hounding days, the pebbles and gemstones I found in her hidden winter pocket and of the road she changed forever, ensuring the safety of others. Never have I seen such a captivating audience.



It was later, after much discussion that the two young girls told me about their own talents. Rylee liked to write stories in her journals and Rhaya was also a rock hound collector and avid song writer. I could see the passion the two sisters had for creativity and encouraged them to pursue their dreams.
Recently, I was sent an email from Amber. The following is what she shared-one mother to another-

Hello there, it’s Amber, from the Cedars RV campsite.  I have the 2 girls, Rylee and Rhaya.  We hope you are doing well and wanted to let you know we have been thinking about you and your amazing journey.  A few weeks ago we went to Birch Bay.  Rhaya and I both threw pebbles in the ocean for Shayla.  It was very moving for both of us and we wanted to be sure you saw the pictures, knowing that your story has forever moved us.  You are such an amazing woman to carry on the way you have, I look up to the way you have chosen to deal with this horrific event and make it into something life changing for everyone that hears this story.  I am so thankful we met and I will help spread the word of the heart pebble movement any way I can.
Take care and enjoy the pictures.
Amber


It was the pick-me-up I needed and a welcomed blessing for what they shared with me.
Unknown to either of them was the strong connection my daughter and I had with Birch Bay. Years ago, we had spent many summers, camping in the area near the seaside. We picked shells, pebbles and fragments of driftwood along the beach, sat around campfires and bought many treats at the legendary C Shop.



To know a pebble was placed in this area is to reflect on the light that Shayla was…her authentic smile on display for the world to see. Her roots are forged in grains of sand; her care-free spirit can be heard swirling in the shell of a conch and the ocean breeze sings the aboriginal pride she believed in.  My sweet angel runs as one now amongst the open heavens and delights in the presence of those who release a pebble in her memory.

By T.L. Alton

2 comments:

  1. Very cool how people you meet from all over are still placing pebbles what a movement keep spreading the word to keep getting these great stories for us to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story on how the family gave so passionately with love to The Heart Pebble Movement and the Memory for Shayla. They are so inspired by The Movement and it inspires me. Tonya I am also amazed (just like Amber mentioned) by the way you carry on like you do with this Heart Pebble Movement and everything else you are doing in Memory of your Daughter - You're a Gem Always!!
    Love You Tonya! Mindy XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)