Sunday, September 1, 2013

Oh, the Places You Will Go!



Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
You'll be on your way up!
You'll be seeing great sights!
You'll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights…
You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed
You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead
Wherever you fly, you'll be the best of the best
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest…
Except when you don't
Because, sometimes, you won't…
I'm sorry to say so but sadly, it's true
and Hang-ups can happen to you…
Somehow you'll escape all that waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places, where Boom Bands are playing
On and on you will hike and I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems whatever they are…
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!







I chose excerpts of a Dr. Seuss story that my daughter absolutely enjoyed! As shared with millions of children worldwide and generations to come, Theodor Seuss Geisel has entertained many. Earlier this year, while in London, it was interesting to find out he attended Oxford University, with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. His story And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, was denied publication to the first 43 publishers he showed it to. He is someone I admire for his wit, imagination and perseverance. A connection to Shayla is when she was growing up, I assured her she would make her mark in life and would follow up by saying: You WILL Move Mountains, one day babygirl! When safety changes and construction began on McKinley Road, Shayla’s father Dave, called me to tell me they were blowing out a part of the mountainside! I remember shedding tears of joy-because the words were coming true- in a way I never could have thought possible!

FUN making it "SNOW" in Vancouver, BC
Last night, I attended my first concert at Ambleside Park, on the North Shore of Vancouver. Tegan & Sara, a Canadian indie rock duo from Calgary, opened up for the main act FUN. 

Before making my way over on water taxi and transit, I stopped into Basil’s Subs. I was delighted to engage in conversation with one of his employee’s, Beatrice. Her passion in life is dancing and I admire her for she is actively pursuing her dreams. I shared how my daughter was in dance for over seven years and how much I missed watching her perform. I gave her The Heart Pebble Movement
link and also told her to check out the phenomenal video of P!NK’s dancing in the video, “TRY.”


Once on my way, I met Kelly and her boyfriend on the bus. As we travelled, I spoke with Kelly about Shayla’s legacy and she was given the link to the movement. She had a soft spoken demeanor to her, which reminded me of another friend of mine. We parted ways as they were meeting up with friends at the concert.

I took the time to dig my toes into the sand and offer a pebble release. Being surrounded by natural beauty, it was a phenomenal spot to let go of a white precious stone. 






Since it was a humid, summer day, I bought a cool beverage and was about to sit down, when I was approached by two young men. They inquired about my pin I wear in Shayla’s memory and soon I found myself engaged in conversation with Chris and Connor. It turned out they were around the same age of my daughter and both had stories to tell. Last month, Chris was involved in a horrifying single vehicle accident, with his brother. They were travelling on a logging road near Prince George, when Chris avoided a pothole; he swerved into a bigger one, lost control and crashed his vehicle. The grim details were told to me, but what struck me the most is how he was traumatized more by what his parents and his brother had to endure in possibly having to ID his body. He lifted up his shirt to show me extreme road rash, puncture marks that were slowing healing and scars all over his body. Chris then said something that made me fight back the tears: “The thing is, I was completely sober…there have been other times I wasn’t and here I stand, alive…where your daughter should be, it’s not fair!” Connor also offered sordid tales of drinking and driving; how his last accident almost cost him his life. I felt as if Shayla was tugging at me, saying “Momma, you have to tell them the ghastly details of my car wreck!” Over the next half hour, I spoke to each of them and told them things that normally, only close friends have been informed of. I asked if they had girlfriends? The sole reason behind asking is because when someone passes away, it affects family, friends, loved ones and produces an undulation of pain that can never be stopped. Chris’s girlfriend had to fly all the way from Norway to come see his bloodied, scar marked body…I  can only imagine that long flight and what she had to go through! In speaking about the deadly effects of drinking and driving, I was adamant about it being a choice, Not an excuse! Afterwards, they each gave me a hug and said how sorry they were for my loss. They left briefly and came back with a drink, I assumed was for me. Chris said, “This is for your daughter, Shayla…cause she should be here with you tonight.” It is my hope that by me sharing, I had an impact on these two young boys, who could have been my daughter’s friends. 

The concert itself was a fusion of indie, soul and pop, with each melody sounding just as it does in their videos. FUN. produced an impacted set of music that flowed through the speakers to the amassed crowd. It was easy to sing along with the songs of Carry On, Some Nights and We Are Young. The lead singer, Nate Ruess, engaged the audience numerous times under the star filled sky. Two of my personal favourites are It Gets Better and Why Am I the One




When the song Carry On was belted across the stage, I smiled, as this is one of the songs, I can see Shayla imparting on to myself.


If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground
Carry on…



While I enjoyed myself, the ever present void of Shayla not by my side, is something I felt. 

Trying to get back from the North Shore to travel back home, a long distance, proved interesting. While wedged into a crammed bus like layered sardines, I met a husband and wife, who also had attended the concert. Raquel inquired about my pin and I told her and her husband, Derek about Shayla. There was something that intrigued me about Raquel; her natural ability to draw out information from me. On an average conversation, I only mention what I call skimming the top of what happened on December 12, 2011. Both Chris and Connor, were also exceptions- being given more specific details as I tried to instill in them- how Shayla’s death continues to impact my daily life. It felt as if my daughter was placing these people; if only for a brief time, in my life. By the time our stop came to get off the bus, Raquel and Derek knew more about me that generally I care to divulge. Yet, I did not mind reaching in deeper to pull out emotions that are contained, with my loss. Both were kind to listen; making it a perfect evening to a day where Shayla’s legacy continues to gently touch the lives of others. 

* All photographs taken by T.L. Alton

 By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)