Monday, September 23, 2013

An Earthly View



“I sometimes feel as if I'm invisible, as if no one can see me at all. I never felt that way when I lived at the Lake House." – Kate, from the movie, The Lake House 


Last week, my friend Katherine and I, went to Van Dusen Botanical Gardens in Vancouver, BC. We went to discover the TOUCH WOOD Sculpture Exhibition, which has been on display from June 20 and ends on September 30, of this month. 

Years ago, I had been previously to Van Dusen, during the Festival of Lights, with my daughter Shayla. This August, I went by myself to EPIC: The Sustainable Living Festival. 

While Katherine had never been to the gardens, it was my wish to share with her the assortment of exceptional trees, the many sculptures infused within nature and my fond memories of one year bringing Shayla during the holiday season. 
With map in hand, we soon realized that neither of us were good at directions. Our decision to pass by a guided tour in favour of letting nature lead the way brought us too many distinguished settings- where the elements playfully danced off one another- in colour, size and placement.

Nine Sentinels by Brent Comber



As a person who is passionate about trees, I found my hands brush against the landmark art exhibits on display outside. My fingers carefully traced the grooves, as if to identify with each one. There is an incredible energy when you walk amongst nature; a quest of seclusion, meditation and emotion can be found amongst the sanctuary of the woods. 

Before leaving for the gardens that morning, I selected another two pieces from my daughter’s collection. It seemed appropriate to take the fragment of petrified rock as an offering of sorts, one that would be released back to the green space of the natural world. The other was a smooth, polished Amethyst pebble- the stone of Shayla’s birth month- February. Carefully, I tucked them into my bag with no knowledge where they would be set free. 


As Katherine and I strolled amongst a meadow of sunflowers, towering over us with their bright yellow faces, there was a sense of peace between us. We were both thinking of our loved ones- her husband, Glen and my daughter, Shayla who had passed away. Yet as the sound of bees drawing sweet nectar enveloped our wandering and the brilliance of autumn bathed us in its colours, we weren’t seeking answers…just temporary freedom from our strife. 
Katherine showcasing Throne of Nezahualcoyotl by Sebastian


As we approached an area known as Fern Dell, I was gravitated to an art exhibit titled: Visitors  by Michael Dennis. These wood sculptures reminded me of the Willow Tree® collection by Susan Lordi; figurines with no faces, yet relevant
in the actions of which they are sculpted into. It was here I decided to leave the small piece of petrified wood that belonged to Shayla. It felt as if the placement was rightfully so…to return back to the secular white creation before me, a ‘wooden stone.’The process of a tree having completely transitioned to stone reminded me of our short time in this world and how in the end, the earth reclaims us. 
Visitors  by Michael Dennis


I had noticed throughout the day, Katherine was filled with a range of emotions. It was later she revealed the day had significant meaning to the loss of Glen, her husband. We spoke of how even when the mind may not want to deal with the trauma, the bodies reaction is a tell –tale sign that our hearts will never forget.

Nearing the vegetable garden, we decided to sit down for a break. We had been fortunate to bask in the sunshine, near a pond bursting with an implosion of water lilies. I looked around, reflecting in a day overflowing with the happenings of life. 

My attention was brought to a silver mailbox which seemed out of place; as if the random object was a part of the gardens artwork. Moments later, we were walking along the dirt path, towards it. As I stood in front of the mailbox, I felt the urge to open it. Once I did, both Katherine and I were thrilled to find slips of papers inside. Addressed at random to people and strangers were letters sharing brokenness-remains of love lost and found- with a collection of singular poems. Both my friend and I read every message and there were two particular ones that resonated with us.   


As we sifted through the correspondence, it reminded me of The Lake House, a movie Shayla and myself enjoyed watching. Reaching into my bag, I took out a piece of paper I give regarding The Heart Pebble Movement. I wrote on it, asking people to release a pebble for Shayla and on the back penned the following message: 





Afterwards, we came upon a beautiful display of rocks and smooth pebbles, all in the form of a medicine wheel. We slowly walked the encompassing circle and once we were in the middle- to honour Shayla’s Aboriginal roots- I placed the piece of Amethyst on a stone. I made an observation of the section we were standing near, a part of the wheel that acknowledges the Buffalo spirit. On my daughter’s Honour Drum is a painted free-spirited Buffalo. To me, it is these messages of nature that reminds me my sweet angel is ever present. 
 


In summing up our day spent together, it occurred to me that while we had chosen to explore the unyielding beauty of the gardens, there remained an unseen energy. The possibility of our environment questioning every aspect of us, reminded me of the symbiotic relationship we share; two species in which at least one benefits.
Observing Your Society by 'Piqtoukun' David Ruben


By T.L. Alton

1 comment:

  1. They are agreat gardens always something new to find new parts to explore . i remember going there that christmas for the lights which were amazing and well worth going to see they do some neat things for christmas everywhere is all lit up all colours dancing around the trees agood time had by all

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)