Thursday, August 1, 2013

楽園 (rakuen: paradise) ~ pleasure + garden



"Thyme on 43rd stirs the imagination, ignites the senses and finds the light within all of us." ~ T.L. Alton



There is a Japanese word that can be used to describe Thyme on 43rd; Niwa translates into "Pure Place." The elements of trees, water and foliage combined with stone craftsmanship; make a visit to Thyme on 43rd, flow with the movement of traditional Japanese gardening. 

As a writer, I am currently working on completing my first novel, Under the Sitka Tree in the sanctuary of these extraordinary surroundings. The owner, Evelyn Faulkner and designer Hayato Ogawa have transpired an area of land into breathtaking splendour, which opens your eyes to wooden and stone structures, in addition to a variety of water features. 

Today, I am taking a break from my book and reflecting on the ‘secret’ Japanese gardens that are located in the vicinity of Brookswood-on 43rd in Langley, British Columbia. 


Encompassing the area is a cascading waterfall, whose constant surge fills into a pond stocked full of Koi.  Fragments of granite, basalt and brohm are pieced together in intricate designs, along with newly installed black tusk. As for the location of where I write, I am surrounded by wooden beams tanned by the sun and with crimson splashes of colour embracing my inspiration. The elements of bamboo, a circle design surround me, while stone work is at my feet. As I peer out, I see a Blue jay drinking from a stream at one of the vessels. 


This is not simply a garden to write in, it is to be marvelled for every ounce of devotion which has been given to its existence. 



I take a deep breath and allow myself to escape into the gardens way of life. As I am about to snap a picture, a familiar buzz makes me focus on what is in the air around me. The image I see is breathtaking…before me is a Hummingbird with stunning fuchsia colouring! It flits about and I am in awe of its vibrancy. This makes me smile knowing of my daughter’s connection to these petite, luminous birds. Stepping back, I close my eyes and realize it is here, amongst the solitude that I am at peace. In these gardens, there is no room for worries; the welcome mat seems invisible to my grief. Yet, it would be allowed to enter should I chose…but only under my direction. 



This autumn, I am planning to gather a group of bereaved parents and rent the sprawling, lush private grounds for an afternoon. I believe this sanctuary can be a respite for our bereavement. Somewhere- that we can openly share about our losses- while being soothed by nature. If anyone is interested in contacting me, please send me an email: power2b@shaw.ca for more information.

For those wanting further details on hosting other events such as fundraisers, weddings, private tours, corporate events, photography opportunities, filming and other opportunities, please contact Evelyn Faulkner directly. 604 534-5902. Or email Evelyn  at  info@thymeon43rd.com
I want to express my gratitude to Evelyn in offering me the space amongst her Thyme on 43rd Japanese gardens. She has been kind to promote me as an author on her website.  

When asked for a photograph for Thyme on 43rd, I jumped at the opportunity to provide the snapshot of me in London. Back in May, I travelled for two weeks with my partner Paul, back to his home. We were fortunate to go on the Warner Bros. Studio Tour of Harry Potter. It truly was the experience of a lifetime, filled with the extraordinary wit, imagination, and talent of J.K. Rowling. At Kings Cross in London, people lined up to have pictures taken at the legendary 9 ¾ platform. I was one of them as I had shared a similar experience at Universal studios with Shayla, back in the summer of 2011. We spent an entire day at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ at Universal Orlando! My daughter knew how much I admired J.K. Rowling as an author. Her determined spirit saw the once struggling writer, pursue her dreams to the fullest!

An addition to the Thyme on 43rd website is a garden writer from Fort Langley. Abby Palmer’s blog, Green Slate, discusses the manner of fusing the elements of nature to our own environment. Her feature articles about gardeners in the Fraser Valley, introduces her readers to places one may never have known. Abby contributes a monthly newsletter about Thyme on 43rd . You can visit her blog at  www.greenslate.ca

Another branch of Evelyn’s location, which reaches out to the entertainment industry, includes filming. Incorporating her Japanese gardens into a movie was done by the recent Hallmark Production of “The Colour of Rain.” 

 To follow link>  watch the trailer here.
 
Equally, adding to her beautiful gardens being part of a film production is Evelyn’s 1957 Buick that is an elemental part of an upcoming motion picture by Tim Burton. Currently, it is being filmed around Vancouver and is called “Big Eyes.” 
The possibilities of people, groups, businesses and organizations utilizing the spacious grandeur of Thyme on 43rd are endless. Assortments of the following are suggestions: Scrap booking classes, artists painting or drawing. Poetry readings taking place under the stars, book release signings or writing. Likewise, the ideas of quilting, meditation circles, yoga and Tai Chi, in front of the waterfall, offer a variety of boundless inspiration.




The opportunity “Where Body and Nature Harmonize,” make this rare gem a place to be discovered! 

By T.L. Alton

4 comments:

  1. Tonya you are an inspiration and I Love You So Much!! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Hugs and Love to you my dear friend <3 I am truly inspired to be able to write in the serenity of the Japanese Gardens. Maybe someday you can come visit me and I can take you there :) Xoxoxox

      Delete
  3. My Dearest Friend Tonya <3 When I come to visit You I would Absolutely Love to visit The Japanese Gardens with you!! I Miss You Lots!:) XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)