Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Blossoming Edge of Artistry



 SONG: “EVERYTHING I OWN” – ARTIST: BREAD    VIDEO:   http://youtu.be/MBObpDDAWZc 

 There are a passage of words on a trace of grey designs site- about us- section that exemplifies the connection I made between their creations and my own daughter, Shayla. 

surrounded by beauty and inspiration…claudia and monique continue to spread their appreciation of “something different” in the form of “one of a kind” pieces made from leather.”
These words popped out at me, reflecting on the uniqueness of something that is out of the ordinary. 



Last weekend’s 125th celebration of Stanley Park, saw me breath in the ocean air as I walked along the seawall. At second beach were display’s infused with the artistry of each creative individual. The table which caught my attention was a trace of grey designs

monique and claudia

 After introducing myself and speaking with Claudia and Monique, I was able to gaze upon their leather bound creations. My senses were entertained by the fusion of colour, arrangements of shapes, and material- all put out to view. 


 The structure that encompassed the purses, belts, wrappy cuffs, journal coverings and much more, was equally appealing to the eye. Inviting people into the shelter of the marquee was a burst of personalized items; imprinted with quotes that spoke to those whose discovery, lay in wait. 

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for;
the evidence of things not seen." ~ St.Paul

I simply had to pick up these extraordinary items…as I allowed my fingers to sense the craftsmanship that went into each piece, it tugged at my heart. This was a place where Shayla would have gravitated too.
Speaking with Claudia and Monique, I shared The Heart Pebble Movement and how my daughter’s passion fueled her rock hound collecting. As always, I was grateful for people to be kind enough to let me share about the loss of Shayla and the legacy that continues on in her name. 


 After I spoke, Claudia reached to a precious heart necklace, with one word that leapt off of the intricate design ~ MINE
As she handed it over, Claudia conveyed her wish to gift it to me. The handmade necklace expressed a word that was already tattooed on my heart. Claudia shared with me how, over time, the colour of the leather heart would turn to a distinctive tone, which would make it one of a kind. I was deeply touched at her compassion and immediately place the necklace around me. I wore it through the entire weekend of celebrations and received numerous compliments. 

Always MINE...My sweet Babygirl
 On Sunday, I returned and spoke with Claudia and Monique again. When I shared the quote for my novel, “Under the Sitka Tree” – We Are Bound by Our Roots, Not by Our Feet, Claudia shared how my words could be imprinted into a personal journal covering of my own. I treasure the idea of having my own words on a journal that is as unique as I am.  

What I found interesting as I snapped pictures is the swirl of people coming from all walks of life; who were keen on the unstructured patterns. I saw an elderly woman place a wrapped cuff on her arm, as another lady looked at an exceptional belt fixed with a tree design- an explosion of tree roots, weaved through the image. A young man’s hands rubbed back and forth on the smoothness of a wallet/card holder, while an older gentleman eyed up a waist belt. It was as if each striking item held something magical for those that were drawn into its beauty. 



As I prepared to leave, I explained to Monique how I sometimes feel a bit ‘lost’ at these events. Yet, during my interaction and speaking with both ladies, they made me feel welcome. Claudia kindly invited me to their studio.

 a trace of grey designs can be found on facebook:

 I am sharing the following information from the tumbler site: www.atraceofgrey.tumblr.com  in hopes that others will find something that will alter their lives, in a distinctive way. 
By T.L. Alton 


we look forward to hearing from you and perhaps working with you in the future. 
or better yet, come by and see us in our new space. we are sharing a beautiful studio and shop with corrine hunt and sandra bars of betty rae designs at 165 whonoak road, west vancouver.
it is a quick drive just across the lions gate bridge. come visit and watch us work while you browse our collection.
shop hours:
monday to friday 10am to 7pm
saturdays by appointment
we accept cash or credit.
claudia  778-558-6063   claudia@atraceofgrey.com
monique  778-862-1422   monique@atraceofgrey.com


2 comments:

  1. thank you for such kind and generous words about trace of grey designs.
    all that you wrote means so much to us. you really captured the essence of why we do what we do.
    thank you for taking the time to connect with us.
    we look forward to seeing you again...
    nothing in life is ever coincidence...especially meeting certain people at certain times and places.
    ...keep up the great writing!


    take care :)
    xo
    monique and claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanya!
    The blog entry is great, and we thank you so much for walking into our lives, and making our weekend special. People like you continue to inspire us to do what we love. We thank you for your kind words and your support. May your days continue to be filled with all the beauty surrounding all of us, and may you always hear and see your beloved Shayla wherever your footsteps take you.
    In friendship, claudia and monique

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)