Thursday, August 29, 2013

Celebrating the Legacy



Who takes the child by the hand takes the mother by the heart. - Danish Proverb


In taking part of last weekend’s gathering to commemorate Stanley Park’s 125th, I also released several polished pebbles and stones out into the world. 

I gave a very special one to the band, The Matinee, who had met Shayla years earlier on her 18th birthday, while they were performing at a bungee jump charity event. After speaking with the lead singer, Matt, I was confident they will find a grand spot to release the pebble I gave them. 

Strolling past the flourishing road gardens, I was drawn into the forests to a bench, near a graceful stream. It was a peaceful area, offering shade and relief from the bustling crowds. As I sat on a memorial bench, I turned to read who it was dedicated to. Even before I lost my daughter, I always paid respect to whoever the bench was named after.
Sitting in the quietness of the woods, I closed my eyes and let the rays of daylight peeking through the sprawling trees, comfort me. Then I released another small pebble. I always cherish the ripples of every pebble, gemstone and rock I send out into the world. Capturing the very moment of its release is something I anticipate with fulfilment. 



 Within a few minutes, I followed the trickling water below to find a beautiful passage on a memorial to those who passed away in the war. After a few moments of silence, I gathered myself and dropped a tiny white stone…the ripples ever so slight. 



 On my way back, I discovered a magnificent cascading pond area. Standing with her mother, was a little girl, around the age of three who was fascinated with the water. In a moment of spontaneity, I asked her mother-Carrie, if I could give her daughter, Brielle the pebble in my hand to toss. I told her what it was for and Carrie liked the idea. I was fortunate to snap a picture before Brielle eagerly threw it into the pond. It was the first time I had felt at ease with giving a pebble to another child. The joy this mother and daughter brought me is something I hold dear. 


People have asked me how many I have let go in Shayla’s memory and to be honest, I have lost count. That is why I try to photograph every one, in hopes I can keep track. Yet, I do not feel that is what I should be focussed on. For me- it is about seizing the moment- letting the pebble decide where it should be placed. Just as my daughter was a care free spirit in this world, I know in my heart as her mother, that she continues to live on in many ways…in many places…in the ripples that carry on her brilliant legacy.

By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)