Friday, August 16, 2013

Like Diamonds in the Sky




 “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.”Henry Miller



Over two weeks ago, I found amongst my daughter’s papers, the original itinerary for a camping place that Shayla and I had went to in 2006-The Cedars RV Resort. My thoughts immediately drifted back to a time where we had shared in adventures while visiting the United States.  We planned a mother and daughter trip to discover parts of northern Washington and ended up having one of the most unforgettable jaunts over the border at The Cedars RV Resort. Throughout the course of our camping, we met an American baseball team. Later that weekend, everyone indulged in karaoke, dancing and shared stories of their lives. One of the guys from the team shared with me the following song:

Jason  Aldean : Good to Go    Video: http://youtu.be/liFA8VonWqU

Reflecting back on the moment where I sat and let the words of the song inhabit my thoughts, the irony of the lyrics conjured up tears of my loss.

After discovering the information for the resort, I decided to reserve 5 days in Ferndale, WA. My most recent travels would see me return to a place where familiarity was something I sought.
Fortune Cookie Message I received in Ferndale, WA

The driving distance from where I live to The Cedars RV Resort is short. It is at 6335 Portal Way,
Ferndale, WA, USA

The wait times always depends on which border you decide to enter. Thankfully, the trip into the USA was quick and soon I was at the office checking-in. My decision to camp in the same location that I did years earlier with Shayla, was an intentional one. It was a feeling of comfort to be in a place which held memorable times that I had shared with my daughter. I had come back for various reasons, but mainly for the meteor showers that were going to be on display on August 12. This day marked one year and eight months since the death of my only child. It was my hope to be able to look up and see her star illuminating the heavens.

Before I left, my 4 and half year old niece Parker had visited me. I took her and Poppa as she calls her Grandpa to Redwood Park and Crescent Beach, near White Rock, BC.
Two special places which Shayla loved to go to. Parker knew I was going camping and when she left, I packed my stuff up. My one bag had once belonged to my daughter and as I went to zip it up, I saw that my niece had given me her little smurf figurine for company. This sweet gesture, made me melt and I decided to take it with me for the whole trip.

During my stay, I decided to explore places I had never been too.  My intention was to release several pebbles for Shayla and honour her all over the area; including at The Cedars RV Resort.
I had several maps and went on Google for certain places, yet it is as if my road trip had already been determined and I found myself on several back roads in the countryside. 

As the tall stalks of corn greeted me as I drove, I gazed through my windshield to a sky of blue hues. I was missing my Nabob coffee from home, when suddenly I saw a drive-thru stand. Mount's Espresso is located at 2318 Slater Rd, Ferndale, WA 98248 and can be found on Facebook.
Before placing my order, the girl working looked at my directions for Tennant Lake and Fragrance Garden. She was helpful and after I ordered my coffee, I thanked her. 


The road I was on ended up taking me to the sprawling 1,500-acres of Lake Terrell. I walked around, until I found a fisherman, who was perplexed as to where Tennant Lake was. After strolling amongst the marshes, I found a place to drop a ‘pebble’. On my way back and giving up on finding the other Lake, I stopped at Mount’s Espresso, once again. I gave the girl working, the information on The Heart Pebble Movement. I asked her name and as she extended her hand, she replied:”My name is Tanya- pronounced Tonya, just like my name!” I smiled and was on my way again.

A short distance later, I saw a turn-off and parked. I wanted to place another pebble in Nooksack River. I walked past cornfields, before I realized I was lost. Back tracking, I made my way to the river and tossed a pebble from ShaeHarmony with the word LOVE written on it. 


Over the next few days, I would embark on travels of unknown destinations. Sometimes, it was to pass along the movement and encourage others to participate. This was the case when I was served by a lovely girl named Talysa from The Woods Coffee. I told her about Shayla and her passion for rock collecting. She was joyful as she told me she was a new parent. I left with my order of a Cedar Avalanche coffee, almond poppy seed muffin and a sense of connection…from one mother to another.  
The Woods Coffee: Ferndale Station 1867 Main St. | Ferndale, WA http://www.thewoodscoffee.com/

A wrong turn found me at Frontier Ranch Thrift Store located at 1214 W. Axton Rd. Ferndale, WA.
I liked the statement on the flyer I received: Frontier Ranch Thrift Store supports camps for less fortunate kids.
As I a mother, I raised my daughter to involve herself into community, volunteering and charity. This organization was something I knew needed my business. I filled a bag full of clothes and a pair of shoes, and went to pay my five dollars. The man at the counter told me more about how Frontier Ranch supports summer camps for kids who would not be able to afford to attend. Their motto: Frontier Ranch~ Changing our world…One kid at a time.

On my last night at the resort, I went to a specific location near Bellingham to star gaze. I am unsure of the name where I hiked fifteen or more minute’s straight- up a mountainside.
Once I reached the destination, I could finally look. The emulation of lights, dancing upon the carved out bowl of the city, made me exhale in its radiance. I was stunned by its simplicity and beauty which went as far as the eye could see. I was delighted when I spotted the familiar luminous of Grouse Mountain’s lights in Canada. Gradually, I let myself turn in a 360° panoramic view of the area. I held in my hand a pebble and a plastic butterfly, which I knew would be getting lofted into the surrounding forest of magnificent trees. I was overwhelmed and for a moment realized I was holding my breath. Laying down on the cool, slab of rock underneath my feet, opened up my eyes to the night sky above me. As my eyes were absorbing in the blackness of a warm summer’s evening, I observed my first shooting star. Nothing could prepare me as a sky gazer for the annual Perseid meteors. The heavens seemed to explode all around me as the Earth's orbit went through a stream of dusty comet fragments. I wanted to dance in celebration as the meteor showers displayed nature’s fireworks. 
 Here I was on the 12th…a day usually filled with anxiety… now replaced with a sense of bravery for embarking on an unfamiliar journey. The pay off was when I saw a trail of blues, greens and hues of shimmering light in a massive flash in the sky. Afterwards, I tossed the pebble for Shayla and the butterfly was set flight when I threw it into the woods. I grinned, knowing that my babygirl would love this extraordinary spot.


With my window rolled down, and Jason Aldean playing in my vehicle, I drove back home with a sense of accomplishment.



Throughout my travels, I embraced the mystery of the unknown, which made it possible for me to share in a variety of experiences. Along with the adventures, I felt it was my daughter’s way of telling me that wherever I go, she will continue to watch over her momma. 
 By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)