Friday, December 25, 2015

Come and See






I stood with the others

Protectors of the night

Guarding the livestock

I am a locator of the lost,

A simple Shepherd

Assisting in the natural world

I am one of the night watchers



As I gathered near the city of David

A humbled servant of God, tending my flock

I was unaware of Angels in the realm of glory

Receiving their orders in the darkest of hours

Earth is to be ignited by their celestial presence



I, a guardian of the herd

Witness the shadows of the night

Vanish in the illumination

My gaze is Heavenward

As the skies erupt with thundering light

I, a caretaker of sheep

Lost and found,

Cower in panic



Frightened by a Heavenly presence

I tremble in fear and fall to my knees

These messengers of God

Offer words of peace

Do not be stricken with fear. I bring you good news

The Lamb of God has been born

A Saviour who will take away the sins of the world



Go to Bethlehem

There is a baby swathed in clothes

A feed trough for his makeshift bed

You will know him as Christ the Lord

Seek Him where the hungry come to feed



I look in disbelief at my fellow Shepherds

A feed trough for a bed?

How could it be?

My mind cannot fathom a place of such lowliness

In a place where animals are sheltered

Slobbering as they eat the hay

What an odd place for a baby

A stable- for a throne of a Saviour?



My doubt is shattered by the heralds of light

Speaking of glory, peace and goodwill

The Angels ask us shepherds to bear witness

To seek the Light of God in this baby

The King of our humanity

Christ the Messiah



As the Angels withdraw from our presence

I say to my fellow shepherds:

Let our feet travel on Holy ground to the place

Where our eyes are fixed upon the child

This instance which has come to pass

Where upon the Lord has made known to us

Let us come and see what God has done…


TL Alton 
 



As I write sheltered by the heavens above me; surrounded with my rocks, branches of fir amid an array of Christmas cards… the songs of His grace are my company. I am letting settle into my Christmas spirit, the evening service I attended at Saanich Baptist Church.

The tradition of me attending Christmas Eve has never faltered. This year’s “Come and See” theme saw me contributing with words sent to me from my Creator.


In November, I was invited to a group of creative souls who the Lord has touched with individual gifts. At first, I was unsure about offering up my passages about the angels and shepherds. It was a sermon by the Youth Pastor Kennan, who thru the word of Our Saviour, inspired me to turn my ‘Can’t into CAN.’

As a writer, sometimes it can be hard to share the creative process with others, but I needed to trust and open myself to letting go. In doing so, the final version of Come and See flowed in continuous harmony, of all of those who contributed to it.

Our church was transformed into a wonderland of the season and a celebration of what Christmas Day represents to us.

Luke Lampard and his worship team multiplied the joy with a selection of music the honouring the birth of Jesus. The live performance of “Noel” had people swaying and in awe of the young lady whose angelic voice had us mesmerized. The momentum changed when a hilarious video was shown of the cutest kids giving their interpretation of the night the Saviour was born. I cannot recall such laughter filling the rafters of a church on Christmas Eve service! A stirring duet between Luke and his sister Amy had many overcome with emotions. 
Those attending all four services were taken on a journey where our faith instilled in us, the Glory that one day will, be ours. 


I was fortunate to sit with two ladies who were in my GriefShare support group. These women made amazing progress in their bereavement. A former participant remarked how it looked as if God himself had wiped the grief from one of these ladies faces. I was reminded of the importance of carrying on, despite what we have endured.

"If you cannot fly, then run. If you cannot run, then walk. If you cannot walk, then crawl. But whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward."
- Martin Luther King Jr.

While people gather for meals and unwrap gifts, much like the advent series of Saanich Baptist Church I have been ‘Re-thinking Christmas.’ The tradition I began last year, with spending this day with those in need, is something that connects me both to my beliefs and my precious daughter Shayla. The gifts I have received throughout the whole year, by a variety of caring souls, reminds me that we need not solely one day to give from the heart.

"Noel (feat. Lauren Daigle)" by Chris Tomlin 'ADORE: Christmas Songs of Worship'

By TL Alton

2 comments:

  1. merry christmas tonya this time of year is atime for reflection on ourselves and how we can make others feel good . all my best wishes and prayer's for you in the next chapter (next year) of adventures take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such kind words! Thank You :) Such an incredible year for me! Prayers for you on your own personal journey to find why you were placed into the world.
    In reflecting on my posts, I heard a song that makes me think of how key it is to seize the time we have on this earth...

    "These days...
    Well, they're looking up
    We got so much to say
    We got someone to love
    We got good friends
    They're so good to us
    And haters can hate
    And fakers can front
    So we try to live
    Like it's all we've got
    Cause for all we know
    This could be the last night of our lives
    Gonna chase down our every desire
    We blaze the night
    With all we've been waiting for
    All this time
    Reaches such great heights
    Gives us just one perfect night
    To say "Oh, What a Beautiful Life"
    Comes out of the dark
    We got nothing to fear
    We got nothing but heart
    Just can’t wait here to see what it brings
    We got too many hopes
    We got too many dreams..."
    Nick Fradiani – Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)