Monday, December 7, 2015

A River of Red



On writing this post I must give a disclaimer if anyone should be offended, due to the sensitive subject matter, please know that violence of any kind is never pretty and cannot be presented in my usual uplifting manner.

There's a girl in the corner
With tear stains on her eyes
From the places she's wandered
And the shame she can't hide…
~ Tenth Avenue North

As I gathered with others in Victoria for a Candlelit Vigil, to commemorate the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women, the storm brewing around us echoed the sorrow felt. 

Stone Memorial ~ Holland Point Park , Victoria, BC

Standing under a blanket of darkness, by the pounding surf of the unseen ocean, I shivered. Reflecting back, I thought of the bright lights of the lives that were taken from this world on December 6th, 1989.
Twenty- six years have passed since the École Polytechnique massacre, in which 14 women were murdered, in the name of ‘fighting feminism’. Ten other people were wounded and lived, yet bare invisible scars only they see. 




Virginia Vaillancourt -Regional Women's Coordinator, PSAC B.C. invited me to another year of remembering those, whose lives have been taken in violent ways. She requested donations for Woman’s Shelters and I am deeply grateful for everyone who contributed to my efforts. 

After the Candlelight Vigil, I gave a box full of items for those who need kindness, to touch their lives.

This post is not solely about one day- but the rivers of red that flow 365 days of the year- in continual waves of bloodshed, throughout our world.

Since last year’s event, a friend of Shayla’s- Mindy, came to know the tragic loss of someone who was very special to her. Deanne Genevieve Wheeler, 26 years young, had her life taken- as she died at the cruel hands of her boyfriend. This gregarious, compassionate and funny girl loved living and embraced all those she encountered, with a beautiful smile.


In my writing, I choose not to mention the names of those who have committed horrific acts, as the focus needs to be on those whose lives mattered in this world. 

 

I still recall the moment I heard of the tragedies besieging Paris- coldness surged through me, as the senseless acts of violence, filled the spot I was standing in. After being numbed by the carnage unfolding on television, I went to the room of the place where I am staying at and ‘lit’ a candle in the window. It continues to shine a light for those 4325.76 nautical miles away. 


Yesterday, I received an unexpected parcel. A unique bracelet once belonging to Shayla, made its way back to me. As I looked over the Betty Boop charm, I noticed another one I did not recall seeing before. It was a red heart with wings. Shayla use to draw this image all over her school work, long before she ever received the bracelet.
 
Before attending the Candlelight Vigil, I went to a local craft store and purchased a package of additional charms. I added a Paris ornament for those lives taken and people wounded- forever altered by the senseless hands of evil. Likewise, I added a woman’s high heel shoe to represent the need for our society, to walk a mile in the lives of those affected by violence. 



This piece of jewellery signifies my stand against violent behavior, as I am a Survivor. Being a victim of sexual assault tainted me for a long time, as I know the reality of rapists being caught and convicted, are still slim. 
Worse, if the rapist is brought to trial, the victim can be subject to further defilement by the very Courts supposedly there to ‘protect her.’ 

A Canadian federal judge who berated a teenage rape victim for not keeping her legs closed during an alleged attack is under review for his heartless remarks.
Federal Court Justice Robin Camp faces removal from the bench after he asked a 19-year-old woman, "Why couldn't you just keep your knees together?" during her assailant's trial.
Source: CBC News reported.



Here is an excerpt of the sad truth that is perpetrated in our culture and resonates with me:

When the state of Ohio found two sixteen year old boys guilty of raping a sixteen year old girl, both boys cried their eyes out the moment after the verdict. Every major media news outlet coddled them instead of the girl they raped. CNN was grieving over the death of their futures in football. They said nothing of the cemetery growing inside the body of the girl… Nothing of the graveyard- where she will bury her trust in men.

This year, the store Bloomingdale's encouraged you to date rape your friend for the holidays.
Spike your best friend’s eggnog when they’re not looking,” is the phrase that Bloomingdale’s is now apologizing for -after complaints it makes light of date rape. The luxury department store chain released its catalog that included this advertisement. The massive outcry on social media prompted an apology from Bloomingdale’s…yet the damaging message was already out there- promoting sexually assaulting your co-workers, after slipping something into their drink.


In looking for material to compose a post on these topics, I was overwhelmed by the monsters that walk our streets. Places where we once felt safe have been stained. Yet when anyone who murders, assaults, hits or verbally and mentally abuses one of our Sisters or Brothers, we need to take Action in the strength found in numbers. 

The following video by Lady Gaga titled ‘Til It Happens To You,’ exposes the harsh reality of those victimized by sexual assault. It comes with a warning, as it is a vivid portrayal of what is happening across the nation. 

Click on Link>>>


By means of standing up for what I have endured in the past, is to make account that I am Worthy, instead of worthless.


By TL Alton

3 comments:

  1. great post what a cruel bad world we live in . That bracelet has travel far and wide and is now where it is meant to be .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Endure- Something I have had as a constant companion throughout my life. As a Believer, my faith has seen me Praise Him in the Storms. The timing of this bracelet brought a mix of emotions, including comfort. The passage of what has transpired brings me Peace.

      Delete
  2. I want to note that there was a profound connection with the woman who helped me at the craft store with my bracelet. While she assisted me with getting the pendants on,I shared what the significance of the two added charms meant. The woman was moved to tell me she is a domestic abuse Survivor and fled years ago with her son, after suffering horrible abuse at the hands of her husband. As we hugged in solidarity, I acknowledged the fact that there are no such things as coincidences.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)