Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Reminiscent of Paris


Les grandes pensées viennent du coeur.
(The greatest thoughts come from the heart)~ Vauvenargues

I am always intrigued at how and where a pebble is placed somewhere in the world. Every time a person connects with me about their involvement with the cause, I can always draw a parallel to Shayla and the life she lived. 
  
My path was fortunate to cross with a McKinley Landing resident named Shane Jamieson. She has a warm, caring soul that made me feel at ease when I met her for the first time. She shared my displeasure at the treacherous commute people had to take in order to enter and leave the area of McKinley. During my travels to Kelowna, I would meet her at Shayla’s father’s home, near Okanagan Lake. Throughout our times together, we laughed, embraced and gave way to the tears as I explained how the loss of Shayla had etched grief into my broken self.  


From the onset, Shane was helpful with the Candle Light Vigil I was planning to mark the one year of my daughter’s passing. She photocopied items I needed, discussed the future of safety on McKinley Landing and how Shayla’s loss was felt like a ripple of sadness, through the entire community. I expressed my heartfelt gratitude to those residents who had voted for the most expensive choice to fix the stretch of road- Option 7. This decision I feel was the right thing to do, in order to bring about the change that I felt my only child had died for. We also spoke of a proposed memorial bench in her memory and the tranquil location- overlooking Okanagan Lake.

On December 12, 2012, Shane took from a bowl of pebbles, a stone to place in Shayla’s memory. At the beginning of 2013, I received a beautiful image and email from Shane:



Dear Tonya
 
I have been thinking of you so much these last few days. I hope you are doing well.
This is the most beautiful place to have put her pebble.   It is right opposite the Notre Dame and in the Seine which as you can see is flowing strongly so all the concentric rings were quickly spread and finally flowed into the sea.   As you say her memory is just about in all corners of the earth. 
The snow has just about melted here in McKinley so Shayla's memorial is clearly visible with flowers which I am sure are from her birthday in February.
 
Fondest regards and tons of strength
Shane


As mentioned, the placement was across from the Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris. There is a quote about this architectural masterpiece that states: The living stones – built by the believers and their prayers – give the cathedral its true reason of being.
Photo: E. Buchot
 Shayla always dreamed of travelling to Paris and on her wall hung the infamous poster for Le Chat Noir. When packing up her belongings, I had no more room and sadly had to leave it behind, where it’s true splendour is certainly unappreciated.


As a dancer, my daughter was passionate about Moulin Rouge ~ the most famous cabaret in the world, and of course the film made notorious by Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. The theme of the movie: “Truth, Beauty, Freedom and Love,” could be heard vibrating off the walls of our home as Shayla sang the lyrics to the soundtrack, restlessly. Her fluidity as a performer shone through, as she pranced across the floors, mimicking the main character, Satine. She would twinkle with a smile, flicker her eyelashes … belting out “Come What May."

 This year, on my second trip to London, I strolled upon a quaint restaurant called Le Pont De La Tour ~ which boasts a restaurant, bar & grill, Food Store and Wine Cellar. Once inside, the levels of inviting aromas enticed my senses. I was greeted warmly by the people working and ordered a slice of moist carrot cake, layered in velvety cream; this treat indulged me. I imagined Shayla and me sitting at a nearby fountain, giggling together and fighting over the last morsel. My joyful thoughts were soon tinged with the wallop of reality and I embarked on a mission that I will share in another blog posting.  




These mementos of Paris; especially the release of a pebble, have been set within my heart.  That no matter what… the love a mother knows and shares between her and the child she brought into this world...will continue to last forever amongst the heavens.


By T L Alton

Dido~ PARIS  Video Link: http://youtu.be/LPLwoOA0L8Y

1 comment:

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)