Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pebble Seeds of Hope and Remembrance



"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -- Miriam Beard

I recently met up with my friend Katherine, for a lunch date and plans to go see Redwood Park in Surrey, BC. We had made plans to go to The Fairy Forest that is nestled deep into the wooded areas of the sprawling forest. 

Katherine and I have been friends for over a year- we met through The Langley Hospice Society- in a Bereavement group. Her sorrow was full of heart-wrenching angst in losing her one true love, her husband Glen. 

Overtime, we connected and months later, we have shared in many special places that sees Glen and Shayla shine their love and light upon us. We envision the quintessence of who they were to us, in the bursts of sunflowers that stretch towards the sky. Our hearts skip a beat when we discover a mailbox- reminisce of The Lake House, actually has touching messages from people all over the world. In the same way, we marvel at a pebbles release in locations that have extraordinary connections to Shayla.

The last time I saw Katherine, she gave me a USB stick, full of pictures, videos and showing her part in The Heart Pebble Movement. In sharing her travels, my friend has also opened herself to the cause that plants pebble-seeds of HOPE and REMEMBRANCE on this earth. 

From the pounding surf of Morro Strand State Beach in California, to the dancing kaleidoscope lights of the Bellagio Resort, Katherine’s release of pebbles for Shayla-each time-is a hug around my grieving soul. 




In May of this year, adventure was shared between Katherine and her daughter, Jasmine. The duo travelled to the Yukon, to see Katherine’s best friend, Amy. Over the time I have known Katherine, she has expressed the friendship and strong bond she has with Amy. Over the course of our grief journeys, we have shared the people who have been there for us as we struggled with the loss of our loved ones. My friend made it known that Amy has always been her rock as Katherine mourns Glen. 

Yukon


While in the Yukon- Katherine went to a special place and set one of my daughter’s rocks I had given her- on a section of bridge, overlooking the surging river below. Carved, long ago, was her name- a poignant reminder of a memory that had passed, yet forever remains embedded in the white painted wood. The placement of one of Shayla’s pebble was then given to the churning waters. With its release, came a sense of embracing the beautiful care-free spirit she was. 




Her travels, along with Jasmine, took them back to California and this time the freedom of another pebble from Shayla’s collection, was let go at Pismo Beach. The area of glistening sand colliding with the ocean water brought me solace in knowing the pebble had found a new home. 





One of the things I treasure is that both a mother and daughter had taken part in the cause; a gift in itself, as I no longer have my babygirl to cuddle, love and tell her how precious she is to me. Yet the memories we shared still remain everlastingly… imprinted on my broken heart.
In getting to know Katherine, I have valued her friendship and have been grateful for all she has done to honour my daughter. Every photograph she has taken or video she has shared tells a story. One in which connects her and I both in our tragic losses, but also in the love we continue to have for those we dearly miss.  


By T.L. Alton

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. That was beautiful. The bridge in Whitehorse, Yukon, where I release Shayla's stone is over the Yukon River at my favourite place in Whitehorse, Miles Canyon. I so adore it there. My name on the bridge.....Glen carved that into the wood in 2007 when we all went up there together. I was called "Kathy" back then, and he carved his nickname "Zad" underneath. When I went back there in May I really wanted to see that carving again and was concerned I wouldn't find it since the bridge had been painted since our visit. I, fortunately, remembered approximately where we he had carved it. It took me a little while, but I eventually found it. I took so many pictures of those two names to make sure that it was recorded for all time. We had always wanted to go back there, but now I know he never really left. He made a mark, literally, on the bridge at Miles Canyon.
    Amy remains my best friend and sister anyway. I love how you wrote about her too.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)