Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Feeding the Souls in Need



In Canada, “No One Should Go Hungry”  ~ The Oasis Outreach Society



Last week I needed repairs on my vehicle and was walking around the area of Langley, BC. I had driven by a building which had a store called THE OASIS OUTREACH SOCIETY. I was curious as to what type of business it was, so I went inside to have a look. 

I was immediately greeted by a friendly lady, who smiled and welcomed me to the store. Glancing around at the items for sale, I soon realized the price point on everything was much lower than you would find in a regular grocery outlet. Products ranged from personal hygiene, condiments, baking supplies and bags of candies.
My interest was piqued enough to inquire about the business. A woman named Christine, kindly took the time to share with me about the society that is “dedicated to ending hunger for Canadians.”

With two low cost grocery outlets-one in Chilliwack opened on September 6, 2011 and the other in Langley on June 17, 2013- are stores for people whose income is also low. The Oasis Outreach issues a free client membership card to assist those in purchasing items at a reduced price. 

Provisions are made through Government and Church human resources by giving food vouchers to their grateful customers. Through the kindness of local businesses and the generosity of the communities of both Chilliwack and Langley, this much needed service is offering compassion on all levels. 

When speaking with Christine, she explained to me that while some people fight to stay home from work, she has Volunteers, yearning to serve at a business where ending hunger in Canada is their main goal. 

This Government Registered Charity is a place with a motto of “Shop with Dignity,” is something you do not find anywhere else. 

On a personal note, I myself know what it is like to stand in a Food bank line with my child. Years ago, I encountered hard times and had my pride taken away when I had to wait in a queue, to file along and receive whatever food was available. While I was ashamed to have found myself and my daughter in this position, in later years it would be another powerful bond connecting Shayla and me. In giving back to the communities who gave us assistance, both my daughter and I hosted several charity events which helped those in need. Shayla never forgot those who she once stood with at the Food bank. Her passion for giving back shined through in her pursuit of working with people who needed someone to care about them. 

Upon her passing at the age of twenty-one, I saw firsthand through the many Thank You cards left behind,  just how devoted my daughter was at being involved in her own community. 

I know in my heart, she had led me to The Oasis Outreach Society and compelled me to write about a store that is working together so others are not going without.

For further information, please click on the link> www.oasisoutreachsociety.org
 
By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)