Friday, October 4, 2013

A Night to Remember



Life takes us to unexpected places. Love brings us home –Unknown 
Plaque to be placed at Granite Memorial Stone of Shayla Rae   Dawn Driver on December 12, 2013- 2 years of her passing



Meeting  Mr. Nicholas Sparks


The balance of our lives is an intricate set of connections in which the stability of existence relies on constancy. When our world is knocked out of equilibrium; like building blocks… they crash down upon us with an overwhelming force. 

Yet all it takes is an ounce of positive energy to restore the steadiness by those who we interact with, even but for a mere moment or space in time. 

Throughout my life, the term loss has come to mean a great deal of things. In being a survivor, it became apparent at an early age that life would never be made easy for me. At eighteen, when I found myself pregnant and unwed, it was a chance to right everything that had been done wrong, to me. My sole purpose, as a mother, was to embrace the opportunities where my own child's dreams could flourish.

In raising Shayla, I taught her to believe that whenever she encountered the wickedness of an often cruel world, she should find strength in her suffering and never let anyone rob her of the dreams she entrusted within her heart. 

One month before she died, my daughter –knowing I was enduring some struggles, called me from University. She acknowledged me as a mother who had sacrificed my own dreams, in order for her to pursue ones of her very own. With admiration for me as her parent, she announced that she would call me- from now on- every single day , no matter how hectic her own life was, even if just to say how much she loved me. This gift was something I will forever cherish, as she kept her word and we shared an entire month of conversation, right up until she passed away. 

In opening myself up to Shayla, she was one of the few people who truly understood what it meant for me to be able to write. Growing up, I introduced my daughter to all types of literature and genres of authors; evoking a sense of excitement over the written word. 

One of the authors, she came to admire was Nicholas Sparks. When The Notebook came to the silver screen, I dragged her countless times to see one of the classics we declared as priceless. After awhile, the movie was ingrained into our souls, yet every instance we spilled our salty tears onto our fluffy popcorn, it felt like it was the first time. 
Designs by Jo


Every author will tell you of someone who enticed them to plant their buttocks in a chair for endless hours and let the fingertips of creativity waltz across the keys. For me, that person is Nicholas Sparks. While breathing life into the characters of my own novel, Under the Sitka Tree, my reward to myself once I had completed the first edits, was to indulge in a Nicholas Sparks book.  The phenomenal manner in which he takes life’s foundation and explodes them into sentences, so visually stunning, it leaves the reader‘s senses enthused with originality. 

Over the twenty-five years I have written, those closest to me know that beyond any pain I have undergone, my outlet for release is to immerse myself into one of his novels.

Now,  as I go through another transitional period in my life- which questions the morals of others- I was able for one extraordinary evening, to leave all my worries behind.

I received via email through Chapters, a once in a life time chance, to come meet Nicholas Sparks, who was promoting his latest novel- The Longest Ride. I knew despite personal issues I was dealing with, I needed to be at Metro Town in Burnaby, BC. 

Soon, I found myself settled in with others who patiently waited hours, even before the 7pm signing. Just like the endless books shelved all along the area we all waited, my shattered dreams and tears of anguish would also be put on hold. I was not there long, when a woman named Brenda, walked in from the rain and temporarily into my life. She spoke of her three children with such love and gave thankfulness for the blessings she had herself. 
Finding Comfort in a new found Friend~ Brenda

A short conversation turned personal as I shared with her, Julie, Andrea and a few other young girls, the story of Shayla. Amongst tears, laughter and compassion, I found a sanctuary for my emotions. 

When I went to take a coffee break, I met another woman- Patti, whose talented daughter- Jo, had created a unique bracelet and necklace in mini forms of Nicholas Sparks, best-selling novels. In a kind-hearted gesture, she gifted me a tiny replica of The Longest Ride for my own personal use. 
Amazing Designer Piece Bracelet by Jo

Hand crafted "Note Book" created by Jo and presented to Nicholas Sparks


Upon returning to the line, I spoke more of Shayla and her fondness of butterflies. Shortly after, I discovered the hardcover book I had been leaning against was entitled “Milk & Honey” and swirls of butterflies were all on the front cover. Brenda also informed me that a count of people has been done and I was number twenty-one; the age of which my daughter was when she passed away. 

By the time Nicholas was set to sign everyone’s edition of The Longest Ride, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I had brought with me a special rock from Shayla’s collection and taped it to a link to my blog: The Heart Pebble Movement. What was most impressive is how Mr. Sparks, took the time to go throughout the whole line of over 200 people and have his photograph taken with each person. Later, when I was interviewed for Breakfast Television News, I was asked what it meant to see Nicholas Sparks, in person. I shared how it was important to remember that besides being a brilliant writer, he is a father, a husband and he showed up to do all of this for his fans. 
Hand-made Designer Necklace By Jo- The Longest Ride


In meeting the man who inspired me to write, I shared with him about the tragic car accident in which Shayla lost her life. I gave him the pebble and the blog link and kindly asked if he could find a spot on his property in North Carolina to place it, I would be most grateful. He gently took my hand and expressed how sorry he was for my loss. Nicholas Sparks also assured me he already knew the perfect spot to release the pebble in my daughter’s memory. 

As I walked away, I felt the essence of who Shayla is, wrap an invisible hug around me and whisper: “Despite your suffering momma, their truly is beauty in this world.” 

I dedicate this blog to those who for one evening, helped to remind me of such splendour and grace!

By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)