Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Beauty of Insight



“Don't be ashamed to weep; 'tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees, and fruit cannot grow without water. But there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones is sealed inside to comfort us.” ― Brian Jacques, Taggerung


In deciding what to write on my blog comes in layers of emotions, stripped away and what is left, is revealed in time. As I cope with the daily loss of Shayla, my “grief-brain” has a way of taking over and settling in a deep murkiness that sometimes makes it hard to focus. Even though my inner-child is playfully embracing the peace, it is the vapour of sorrow that can wreak havoc in my thoughts.

Today, I realized I had not given thanks- openly to the world for another parent, who took the time to place a rock into a creek. I discovered Just Jody’s Blog by happening upon her site, while I was looking at unique rock formations. She had two striking photographs, which captured both my attention and my heart. Some people like to show off their snapshots of the fish they caught…I love to admire the simplicity and natural beauty of stone- in any form. 


After reading some posts, I decided to get in touch with Jody and ask her if she could place a pebble for my daughter. Her prompt reply, filled with kindness stretched across the miles and connected us both as mothers. Jody was quick to act upon my request. I was filled with delight when she sent me a photograph.  The snapshot captures the luminous image of her arm outstretched with a stone in the palm of it; overlooking the creek that runs through the farm of her family. In her own words, Jody relayed to me ….The creek bed is solid rock and you have to actually drive through the creek on the secondary road to get to the farm. Wonderful energy from this rock!


She shared with me the magnificence of this sacred location: Lowry’s, South Carolina. In researching the area, I came upon the charming story of The Chester County Free Library, which opened in 1903 and was a simple wooden building which contained one room. It was located seven and a half miles from Chester in Lowry’s, South Carolina. The building was assisted by the donation of Dr. Delano S. Fitzgerald which also saw the doctor give 1,381 books from his personal collection. Providing library services, it is believed The Chester County Free Library may have been the first official book mobile in America. As a writer and historian, I revelled in this compilation of heritage rooted in the past. The following image pays tribute to the efforts made by Dr. Fitzgerald. 


In a small town in the United States…I sing the praises of Jody; a mother who I share similar interests with in the forms of stones, crystals and a medicine bag. I was touched by her compassion in sending prayers for both Shayla and I. Today, in reading her post on Apache Tears, I looked over at a special area in my own home, where my own Apache Tear stone resides in a revered place. The historical meaning is intriguing and used for healing if you are feeling grief and emotional distress.


As I stare out at the unvarying drizzle of west coast rain, I welcome those who like Jody, have honoured my request and understood the importance of the movement. This caring woman, who conveyed her free-spirited nature, resounded in me that The Heart Pebble Movement with no boundaries… does not ever stop. 

I encourage others to connect on to Just Jody`s blog, for she has a great deal of inspiration, wisdom, quotes and fascinating photographs…all of which embody beauty.




By T L. Alton

4 comments:

  1. Another place how cool is that ? looks great . thank you for another great story . i love you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never could have envisioned how elements of the earth; in the form of pebbles, rocks and gemstones, could wrap my fractured heart in their love, comfort and grace. Thank you for being part of my journey; painful as it is at times, the release of the pebbles is an extension of my own soul...I Love you Always Xox

      Delete
  2. I was glad to honor Shaylas memory and hope it brings some small comfort to you. I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes: "We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can fly only by embracing each other." Aho......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to share this movement- close to my heart- with you, has been like discovering a little treasure together. For every stone immersed somewhere in this world, grants me solace. Thank you kindly Jody for your part in it and the thoughtful quote that embodies the sentiments of how I feel...

      Delete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)