Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ol' Green Chair



“Tea pot is on, the cups are waiting, favourite chair anticipating, No matter what I have to do my friend... there's always time for you”



This is a story about an old green chair I have.

Many years ago I knew a teenager who had battled Cancer. To protect the privacy of the family, I am with withholding their names.  This young individual was such an inspiration as they were helping me with my Cancer Fundraiser. We lived by each other and I would walk over to the parent’s house and plan the event I was hosting, along with the teenager’s help.
Every time I walked into their home, I passed an old green, weathered chair in the basement. One day I inquired about it and I was told it once belonged to his great- grandfather and was left behind, when he passed away. For some reason to me, this green chair had a sentimental value to it. I imagined an old man, getting cozy in his chair, reading the newspaper, or watching the boats on the ocean; possibly carrying immigrants. 
 I asked what they were doing with the chair and they said if I was keen on it that much, then I could have it. Upon seeing the piece of furniture, Shayla laughed and teased me, all in her good nature, about me wanting some old man’s musty green reading chair! Back then I was working for the Government, so I had the money to have it refurbished with fresh foam and cleaned up. Once it was all done, it looked almost like a brand new chair again; yet still retained its roots! I simply adored it; especially that it also had a foot stool to match.
 I moved around alot and that chair came with me everywhere I went. When Paul and I could not take it with us to the coast, due to its size and we had no room, I was saddened that I had to leave it behind. It sat at my former husband’s house for a long time. Then Shayla moved into her then boyfriend’s townhouse and she acquired the Ol’ green chair. One visit to Shayla place revealed the chair to be in the guest Room or as she called it the GOD room.  Her partner was neither religious nor spiritual. Whenever I would give my daughter anything to do with GOD or Jesus, she would place it in that room as he did not want anything spiritual in any other part of his house. This really irked me and one time I made a remark to him saying: “A person should be careful about placing GOD in just One room, because you never know when someday; you will need HIM in your whole house!” Looking back now, I can see how true that was! As for the green chair, I later found out that when Shayla was studying, reading a book or immersed in her Bible, she would go into the room and snuggle into the green chair.
When I finally got the chair back, I was thrilled to once again have it in our new place. In setting up the den, I wanted an area where I could go; an inviting space filled with pictures, my cherished Nicholas Sparks novels and a spot where I can scrap book. In creating a warm and cozy atmosphere, I wanted to include my vast collection of grieving and loss paperbacks, and mix in some of Shayla’s personal effects. Next to the beloved green chair, sits on a shelf, the Bible that belonged to my daughter. Items from my two trips to Hawaii are dispersed throughout the room, while a theme of angels invites me to come and settle in.
Recently, I decided to contact the family I had received the chair and stool from, to share with them how much the set means to me. I was delighted to speak with the mother, whose grandfather owned the chair. After speaking of the loss of my daughter, I inquired about their own child, who was now grown and married. They had a miraculous recovery and beaten Cancer; living their life with much happiness. When I opened up and told her all about the chair’s travels and special meaning to me, she was glad that it had found a final spot in our home. I wanted to know more about her grandfather and this is what she relayed to me: “My Grandfather was of Irish descent, he would sit in that green chair, puffing on his pipe and contemplate life.”  This made me smile and my imagination made me wonder of his thoughts, the image of him maybe sipping a warm bowl of root vegetable soup while eating a chunk of Soda bread. I thanked her for the joy the Ol’ green chair has brought me. Once again I feel the incredible bond between my babygirl and myself; embracing the time each one of us has found solitude in it.
In discovering the beauty of this link from past to present, I have found it isn’t simply about furnishings… it is about the roots that anchor us to each other and nourish our souls, through their construction.  

Deep peace of the running wave to you,
Deep peace of the flowing air to you,
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you,
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
Moon & stars pour their healing light on you.
Deep peace to you. ~ Celtic Blessing 



Celtic Tree (inverted sunset) by Ice Faerie

By T L. Alton

2 comments:

  1. very nice babe i hope the chair gives you some comfort i love you paul xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool beautiful story! The green chair has a significant and wonderful meaning to it and some special memories!! With LOve Always Mindy XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)