Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Where the Rainbow Ends



There upon the rainbow is the answer to our never-ending story...

- Limahl, "The NeverEnding Story Theme"



Video: Somewhere Over the Rainbow –  Israel (Iz) Kamakawiwo'Ole



Last August, a group of friends, my boyfriend and me participated in a 5 Km Run for two reasons: the cause was for Breast cancer Awareness and Prevention, the other for my vibrant babygirl who breathed in the colors of the wind.



The event was called COLOR ME RAD and to put it into a visual perspective, imagine the powder from a millions crushed skittles, exploding into the air and the kaleidoscope of color showering your body. While skittles are not actually used, the effect of being ‘color bombed’ stands to be one of the most stimulating, outdoor experiences I have ever taken part in! 


The packs of color are non-toxic colored corn-starch. Subsidized by the USA government and processed in the states, the infusion of vibrant starch splashes upon your body as if you have been hit by waves of rainbows. The ladies from “Keep A Breast Foundation” ~ Maren Walker and Amanda Bristow Macpherson were just as vibrant as the color packs! COLOR ME RAD also supports charities as a portion of the proceeds go to benefit local organizations in the community. I was able to share why I was there and most important to me, the legacy Shayla has left behind in her own rainbow journey. 
While I would like to say our group, aptly named: “TEAM RAINBOW SHAYLA SKITTLE WARRIORS” ran the entire distance, we were more about having FUN! At points along the way, participants have packs of color thrown at them, or in our case and because we were more like snails than stallions-we had dustpans of beautiful oranges, greens, blues and purples tossed at us. Then we gave into the notion of freeing our inner child…we all rolled onto the ground scattered into what looked like techno colored palettes of swirled patterns. 

Although we were embracing our wild abandonment, we also carried with us in the car, a photograph of Shayla and another of her Auntie Marilyn (Mern), who only six months before my daughter passed away- Marilyn died of Cancer. Both Shayla and her Aunt were very close and when she was given the car that Marilyn had owned, Shayla was thrilled to be behind the wheel of it. After the car accident, I found a journal entry that my daughter had written to her Auntie, in heaven. From the date of the entry to Shayla’s tragic loss, it was dated only two months apart. None of us could have imagined that both of them would be reunited, once again, so soon.



During COLOR ME RAD, my sweet angel was on my mind. I thought of how proud she would be for me- for all of us as a group, to do this in Marilyn and Shayla’s honour.  Every time another rupture of brilliance sprinkled down on me, I envisioned my babygirl looking down at her mother and coloured teardrops of joy to fall upon me from above. 
As we neared the end and turn around point, something caught my eye. There on the ground, struggling under a veil of cornstarch was a butterfly. It seemed disorientated and another friend was motioned over. She gently coaxed it onto her hand, and then it began to slowly crawl up her arm. We brought it over to a tree and I placed a tiny bit of water into the cap of my water bottle. We were amazed when it began to lightly sip up some of the water. Soon, it climbed onto the branch of the tree. We started to walk away and then noticed the butterfly was following us. 
For me, I knew it was a symbol of Shayla that will always resonate within my broken heart…that no matter wherever I go, my precious child is with me. 


 By T L. Alton

4 comments:

  1. You go girl! It's so beautiful and so colourful what you have done to remember your lovely daughter Shayla! I am sure she is smiling down on you so proud xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You my Dear Mindy <3 Sometimes I am in awe of what a beautiful gift I was given in my precious daughter!! Years ago, when I became pregnant at the young age of 18, I was given "choices." There was no other option for me than to bring this blessing of life into the world :) Since Shayla's passing, I have continued to be fortunate, by those who have come along for this unknown journey. Some people stay, while others carry on, and yet the imprints on my tender heart forever linger...
      Love & Light Xo

      Delete
    2. And some people come into our lives leaving beautiful imprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same.....

      You are one of those people in my life Tonya. And thank you for being you and sharing <3 And yes Shayla is a Blessing and a gift from God always <3

      I Love You so much XOXO

      Delete
  2. It was agreat day plenty of colour . Shayla would be proud of all five of us . But thanks to you tonya for letting us take part in this fun run . i love u paul xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)