Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Heavenly Music





Could you beam me up,
Give me a minute, I don’t know what I’d say in it
I’d Probably just stare, happy just to be there, holding your face
Beam me up,
Let me be lighter, tired of being a fighter…
I think, a minute’s enough
Just beam me up.
In my head, I see your baby blues
I hear your voice and I, I break in two and now there’s
One of me, with you…
So when I need you can I send you a sign
I’ll burn a candle and turn off the lights
I’ll pick a star and watch you shine…

Beam Me Up ~ P!NK




Over the years, Shayla and I attended many concerts together. Our music tastes ranged from country, pop, soft-rock, indie and gospel. Whether sitting in a balcony listening to Roch Voisine strum a collection of guitars onstage or Bon Jovi rock the Key Arena in Seattle, Shayla added to the entertainment. A muse of sorts that when I was at any concert with her, she brought such a dominant energy, those around her were captivated.

As I start to recall those musicians who were on our concert Hotlist- Taylor Swift, Sugarland, Lady Gaga and many more, which we will never see perform as a mother/daughter duo, it makes the walls of grief close in on me. When one of our much-loved, creative powerhouse singers, P!NK, debuted her new album The Truth About Love, the wings on my fragile heart felt knocked off. We always considered P!NK, a sphere of beauty in artistic merit and as a person. Since Shayla and I always could relate to the underdog, her caustic, raw and dark lyrics were in contrast to P!NKS statuesque, extraordinary acrobatic moves. Watching her in videos is comparable to witnessing an ice cube sizzle on a birthday sparkler. You know it is eventually going to melt, but the anticipation keeps you fixed on the display. Much can be said for P!NKS passion in both singing a ballad and involving the audience in every glistening moment.

Today, I was watching videos from The Truth About Love, when a song by P!NK brought my angst to the front burner. Beam Me Up could have been written for me…as if we as mothers sat in my living room, while my sorrow spilled onto her tattoos. Especially the part of breaking in half, as this feeling of being split where the love should be a whole; is now fragmented splinters of obscurity.

What I did with these words was absorb them into a mother’s grief and send them upwards to my babygirl. Every day I awaken, my world may begin anew, but the loss I continue to endure does not cease. What eases the terrible aching within, is to listen to another mother, creative entertainer and performer like P!NK reach me through a means I can relate to…words of expression. It is my hope that I maybe able to go to one of her concerts and not feel like I would crumble without Shayla in attendance. I would hope when I close my eyes I will feel her hand in mine and a whisper in my ear that says: Momma…let the music soothe your soul.

By T L. Alton

1 comment:

  1. i know you miss them great times being entertained by great artists .It is good you find some kind of comfort in these songs . i love you always paul xx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)