Saturday, March 29, 2014

Unravelling Life`s Purpose with Clarity





My solo journey has at times been so overwrought with emotions; it has been a struggle to compartmentalize the many layers of grief, I continue to process. Just because I released my daughter’s ashes, does not mean I have stepped off the merry go round of heartache. Yet, I have been granted a form of security. Knowing that in over two years since Shayla’s passing I have let go of things connected to that fateful, tragic day.
Much can be said for the ending of my six year relationship. If either of us were asked about the demise of our union, I know we would agree that the writing was on the wall, but I simply chose to paint over it. In walking away last year, I did not leave to go immediately find someone else, I left to seek solitude and find myself. 


We all yearn for harmony and the opportunity to be comfortable in our own skin. Yet there are others who cannot survive- being encircled by their own feelings of what their part was- in the demise of another. The choice of betrayal is something you can never take back and leaves those wounded, picking up the fragmented pieces… with many unanswered questions. My choice to not fill the void left by my former partner with a new person… is something I value, as it shows the strength I have, is immeasurable. It also has enabled me to process and mourn the love that is now gone, which takes much more courage to deal with than running into the arms of another. 

When my daughter died, it left me resisting the opportunity to release anything but anger back into the world. Then one day, I resolved to make the decision to walk through the fire and seize the love, beautiful memories and 21 years of what she shared. 



After returning from Maui, I brought the Lei I wore when I had released Shayla’s ashes into the sea, back to McKinley Reservoir. I decided I had to honour the words on my daughter’s memorial stone: “Be the Change You Want to See in this World.” I took the pin I have worn since her death and attached it to the bright orange flowers. On the other side of the reflector, I changed over the picture to the poster I once had on the back of my vehicle. It pays tribute to Shayla through The Heart Pebble Movement and One Crash is Too Many Campaign. I stood there in awe, as I was overcome with a new purpose…I was no longer defined by the frozen waters, as I had enlarged my borders beyond the shrine. No longer did all things lead to this area, as I now was finally looking past the horizon.

In my pocket was a heart shaped piece of coral that I had brought back with me and placed it on the white teddy bear Angel.
I am now applying this to other aspects of my life. Being tied to the past is to be bound to my regrets and does not allow the wounds to heal. In May, I am hoping to finally get resolution on something traumatic that occurred back in January- allowing me to mend the bruises on my spirit- once and for all.
In the meantime, I continue to keep the promise to myself that I am on this solo trek in order to expand my borders…being open to the extraordinary possibilities that await me. 


 `They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their own strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.`  - Isaiah 40:31

By T.L. Alton

6 comments:

  1. Tonya you continue to inspire me. Good for you for choosing to take your own path. Sometimes that can be the scariest thing to do and takes a lot of courage but you're doing it. Thank you for sharing your journey with the world. Love. Light! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful for your words of friendship, encouragement and Love <3 Inviting calm into my world, while processing the past, has been a way of mastering the upheavals in my life. Embracing mother nature's colourful surroundings through my travels has allowed me to open up to my burdens. The peaceful clarity I have now is a companion on this solo journey of mine. Thank you Mindy for the extraordinary journal you gifted me as the pages are being filled :) Sending many Hugs & Much Love Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful for your friendship very much too Tonya xox And so glad you appreciate the journal I sent you. It was from my heart to yours. You dedicate yourself to everything you do. Keep it up. With love, Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our paths crossed for a reason and a beautiful friendship emerged, which has such a lovely connection to Shayla <3 In life, as we go through challenging times, it is key to remember who has got your back...Thank You for bringing such light & love into my world <3 XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy and enlightened to see and hear how you have grown in this challenging time of loss and grieving ♥ You have been working hard and your being rewarded day by day with an uplifting of understanding and grace O:-) Not only do you show healing in what you share with us all. You are encouraging ,and a model of reasurrance that as long as you stay focused and believe in yourself and with God All things are possible ; Mathew 19:26 Love and Hugs Your Cheer Leader xoxo Leeann

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is never a day now when I don't set time aside to recognize my grief journey. Either I read it in a heart-warming quote, or write it into one of my journals. By acknowledging the sorrow and loss, I breathe life back into the memories of my daughter, Shayla. No loner is my focus on others, who were leading me to more heart-ache. Instead, I allow freedom to mourn, to shed the tears that were held back far too long. In May, a significant chapter of the past will be closed Forever, allowing me to fully be the person God intended. While grief can blind side you, so can love...and only when I remove the denial, am I able to fully achieve a level of purpose and acceptance which unveils the next chapter in my life. Your friendship uplifts me Leeann, as you see me with grace and love xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)