Sunday, March 9, 2014

Cape Point Release Dini and Gert Steyn



If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness and Forgiveness ~ Nelson Mandela 


The past year has seen me overcome many obstacles, as I have welcomed life many transformations and sought new ventures. I have travelled all over in search of contentment and asked to let go of any heartache with those I have crossed paths with- that have caused me pain. 


In my relaying the stories of pebble releases, I have been diligent about Blogging each one and the ripple effect it created. After reviewing my posts, I discovered a pebble placement that had yet to have its tale acknowledged. 


Since the inception of The Heart Pebble Movement, there are those who have participated in several releases, in a variety of extraordinary locations. They have embraced a cause that is now worldwide and continues, sometimes in ripples…other times in waves.

Dini Steyn is my former Instructor for Teaching English as a Second Language, from Okanagan College. I graduated from the program many years ago and she has remained a dear friend. Throughout my many changes and upheavals, this woman of inspiration has continued to grant me life lessons. 
Me and Dini
Last year, her and her husband Gert, travelled to South Africa. Before her departure, I met with Dini to give a unique stone from Shayla’s cherished collection. I anticipated the release of it with much unpredictability of where it would find its new home.


Upon returning to Canada, I was given a lovely photo of the pebble’s release at Cape Point. This is where the southwestern tip of Africa infers the Atlantic and Indian Oceans gather and merge.  It has been stated that the meeting point fluctuates along the southern and southwestern Cape coast, usually occurring between Cape Agulhas and Cape Point. In any case, the union results in spectacular swells and untamed waves that pound relentlessly against the rock platforms. 


As I studied the snapshot, I imagined the fusing of the emerald and azure seas as wisps of clouds danced off the rays of the sun. Seeing the pebble held close in Dini’s hand, I revelled at the breathtaking scenery that engulfed the depiction. 
Dini holding one of Shayla's special pebbles
In another photograph taken as the pebble was let go, I was in awe of the lush greenery, thriving amongst the brackish mist of the ocean. In mere seconds the travelling pebble would soon discover its new settlement…far away from the distant land of Canada. 

the pebble's release to its new 'home'
Seeing as this was a continuous participation of Dini’s involvement in The Heart Pebble Movement- occurring where her own roots had been established- it held for me a deeper level of gratitude for their efforts made. Both my former teacher, along with her husband Gert, took my daughter’s pebble to a place of magnificence; a location pensive in hope and reflective of nature’s grace. 


For each of the releases, the pebble’s journeys have spanned the continents and enriched my life with the stories I have shared, as a grieving mother. 


The following lyrics by Amanda Marshall embodies my sentiments of having someone believe in a movement close to my heart...


Somewhere there's a river, looking for a stream

Somewhere there's a dreamer, looking for a dream

Somewhere there's a drifter, trying to find its way

Somewhere someone's waiting to hear somebody say

I believe in you…


I extend my sincere appreciation to Dini and Gert’s involvement in something which holds significance to me. As I continue to honour the ripple effects of my daughter Shayla on this world, your kindness is something I treasure! 


By TL Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)