Monday, March 17, 2014

What Happens in Maui- Stays at the Beach! ~ Part 2


“Somebody ought to tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit every minute of every day. Do it, I say, whatever you want to do, do it now.” — Michael Landon





On many occasions, I have reflected back on my daughter’s short life and marvelled at how she existed! There are times I wonder if Shayla sensed her imminent death, consequently propelling her actions to swallow life with as much vitality as the air she breathed. 


This young 21 yr old attended several churches, prayed over strangers, hiked in the snow, bungee jumped 145 ft over a river, got a tattoo, slept in a sleeping bag on concrete to raise funds and awareness for the homeless, shaved her hair off for Cancer and so much more! 


As I travelled on the plane to Maui, it was evening and the sounds of the jet engines were my only company. My anxiety was at high levels, given that I was staying two weeks with a lady I had never met. Past horror stories about answering ads came to mind, yet after a flurry of emails exchanged back and forth, I felt confident my trip would come together. I never could have imagined the adventures I would be taken on…



The lady I stayed with had incredible connections and knows many people. She likes her privacy and that is why I am respecting hers by not divulging further information- only about the escapades I was fortunate to be part of. This included a trip to a well known resort on Maui that saw me stand on the beach and listen to the band HEART, perform for a private function. Soon we were off to Comedy night, which had an array of talent that Shayla would have enjoyed. The next day, I was having a hard time containing my excitement…I was thrilled knowing that on that same sprawling beach from the evening before, I would be seeing Maroon 5...for FREE! I recall looking up at the Hawaiian sky bursting with stars and seeing the pounding surf. In front of me I listened to Maroon 5 belt out my favourite song, “She Will Be Loved” and feeling a surge of energy throughout me. After an incredibly stellar concert, a burst of colour exploded behind me...I watched in awe as the Pacific Ocean was lit up by a  phenomenal display of fireworks! I could only wonder how the night possibly was to turn out any better? As I write this, I am still smiling about that remarkable night!

Adam Levine and his band Maroon 5 perform a concert in Maui, Hawaii on February 26, 2014.
One thing I could depend on was the lady I stayed with had spontaneity! She had this way of convincing me to join in fun things that were only made possible because of her vibrancy. She drove me to the charming, historic IAO theatre for a fabulous dress rehearsal performance of “LA CAGE AUX FOLLES!” I kept on thinking I was living vicariously through my daughter’s care-free spirit.

 Next was an unexpected trip on the Road to Hāna. I had always wanted to seek this legendary expedition and now I was being granted my wish. I had researched this tour before, when I was on Maui, on my previous trip. I knew it was a good idea given the nature of the road, to take two GRAVOL® Natural Source® Ginger Tablets. Take my word for it, after spending an entire day of travelling over 59 bridges and winding around 620 curves through the tropical rainforest, having anything to assist with keeping your lunch down is a bonus!

This is the more reliable, less scary part of the road
This leads me to share about the foods I was privileged to taste, such as White Macadamia Banana Bread, divine avocadoes in sizes I have never seen and Coconut Candy that made living in the jungle, quite appealing. 




There are also “Honesty Boxes” that have a simple display of fruits and vegetables for sale, but no one around. The locales trust that if you want something, you will pay for it and place your money in a box, where later it will be collected. I found this to be a lovely gesture of trust.




 Another highlight was the discovery of a gentleman who had trained birds to perch all over you and for a minimal price, your picture was taken. I thought this was simply brilliant! Later we carried on to more exploring and sight-seeing. I felt that I had fulfilled my desire to see the Road to Hāna, in one of the most exhilarating ways, thanks to the lady who kindly took me on this whirlwind trip!



Later that week, I would honour yet again, the memory of my beloved Shayla. I had brought with me from Canada, 24 white rose plastic floater candles. They were unique in how they became illuminated by water activation and not batteries. I went to the pond where my daughter’s ashes had been released and took a piece of driftwood from the beach. I wrote in the wet sand “Be FREE, S.D.” At first I was assuming that I was the one writing the message, and then it occurred to me… it was actually my daughter who wanted me to be released- to Be Free. She was guiding me from the Heavens… to share it was okay for me to start over; to make a new beginning. It was an invisible sweet embrace that held within it, a better understanding of my purpose for coming to Maui- something beautiful.


There are many things that occurred on the Island that will be forever written on my heart. Some of these cherished memories I have decided not to share and I will not be posting the many videos that I do have of my trip to Maui. Sheltering my heart and privacy is important to me as I have opened up much to the world. From the depths of my soul, I have found peace in knowing that I am in control of the parts of me I give willingly. The past has taught me that not everyone has your best interests, yet Shayla’s death shed light on the importance of taking risks. I walk a fine line between the two as a storyteller, knowing the most magnificent writers never divulge every tale in its entirety. 



 By TL Alton

7 comments:

  1. Shayla would and is so very proud of you ! She only ever wanted her Mama to be happy and able to share and spread her love and compassion for all that she believes in. You keep it going Tonya, Proud of you and again I love to be witness of your faithfullness xoxo Leeann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you Hugs my dear for your words from the heart <3 What I loved So much about this unplanned trip was how nothing was ever set out in motion, yet everything came together so amazing in the end (-: Your years of friendship and support- especially now, have meant the world to me!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya this blog is incredibly inspiring; they always are though. The reason I find this one inspiring is because Shayla seemed to have lived with no regrets; she took chances, tried extraordinary things, learned so much about life, religions....people, and had such an open mind. She lived a life so full. Same goes for you Tonya; you are a go-getter. You take risks in life, even though you are afraid you push through the fears. For what you did to go to Hawaii by yourself and to stay with someone you've never met before is extremely courageous and I give you credit for that. However your trip turned out to be spectacular and you now have some wonderful memories to look back on and you have met some amazing people! I had to share that with you;) I appreciate you! Love you tons XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder of the efforts I put into my Blog and then I receive a comment posted by a person who goes far and beyond my expectations...My healing comes into the tightly formed friendships of those I now allow into my world and even when I fully share about Shayla. I value those who are in my life and that certainly includes you Mindy <3 As you know...there have been things that pulled down on my spirit and me breaking free was vital... as I now thrive in the life I have created for myself! Some people were left in the past, where they rightfully deserve to be forgotten, and then I brought you and our cherished friendship into the present and future :) Your kind-hearted words are proof that we share in the beautiful bonds of 'sister-hood.' Our dear Shayla would be so thrilled to know how close we have become <3 I know, no matter where I go in this world, having you as a dear friend will sustain anything! So often others take advantage and soon learn that they are the ones who end up losing. Many have come to learn that I am loyal to them, but if the boundaries of trust are broken- you will never have my devotion again! I continue to learn so many 'life lessons' from Shayla,even after she's gone! My daughter was someone who when she entered a room, you knew it and when she left...Shayla drew the energy out of it! I now have honoured her in many extraordinary ways; especially her last request, that she made right before her passing. I feel her Blessings from Heaven :) I am a fulfilled woman, with treasured friends like you Mindy <3 Thank You for Always standing in my corner, offering your love and support <3 I Love and Appreciate You XOXOXOXOX

      Delete
  4. Your words are beautiful Tonya <3 Shayla would be extremely happy if she knew the friendship you and I share, actually I believe she does know. You are a Special Rare Friendship. You and I have a special connection. And it's like no matter how much we keep in touch or see each other the friendship is always there and strong and we both know that we care about each other very much. We always pick up from where we leave off. You are an amazing friend and light in my life. And you are somebody I can trust and turn to. I feel the same way as you; knowing that I have you for a friend makes me feel that my life is better. Thank You for You and your Friendship. I love you always with all my heart <3 XOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrapping you and Every single one of my friends in Hugs and Much Love for their continual Support <3 I count my Blessings in those who are part of my life now, knowing Shayla led me to the the right people I am surrounded by <3 XOXOXOXOX Love to You and all the others :)

      Delete
    2. Ohhh me Love You too Tonya!!!
      Hugs and Love Always XOXOXOX <3 <3

      Delete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)