Tuesday, December 9, 2014

On the Second Day of Christmas ~ Luminous




There is something phenomenal which occurs when an area is transformed by curled garlands of shimmering white, red and green lights. A row of simple lampposts become the focal point of the downtown core. A barren tree wrapped in illumination exalts a magical essence of life. While a city draped in vintage holiday signage, replicates Christmas’s that have past. 

I would be remiss if I did not convey one of my revered parts of the season is the endless strands of glow, which brings me a sense of peace. The spotlight on the incandescent bulbs resonate the embodiment of Christmas, associated all over the world. Gathering my imagination; much like a decorated bow, I feel pulled together inside. 

My daughter and I shared in the light of the world by cloaking a veil of lights onto everything in our home. In previous Christmas’s, the kitchen was lit up, our living room swathed in glowing LED’s, and even the bathroom radiated with shining twinkles. No matter her age, Shayla’s heart was set alight with the love and amusement of being amongst the radiance. 

 
In choosing to celebrate the reason of the season, once again, I found myself contemplating what to do for a Christmas tree. My previous one had been packed up and donated, after the passing of my daughter. I could not imagine having the holidays without her, let alone taking part in decorating another tree. Soon, the solution would reveal itself to what I was mulling over. 

The first time I stepped back into a Christmas store was a month ago. I felt a lump in my throat and my heart sank when I spotted ornaments that reminded me of Shayla. I had the notion to run off, when I saw a palm tree, decorated in glorious beach themed holiday décor. It reminded me of Maui and how I had stood only month’s earlier and released my babygirl’s ashes into the sea. I began to slowly walk around the store and let Christmas come to me. My eyes began to fix upon the endless, unique bits and pieces… taking a deep breath in, I let the grace take over the heartache. That day, my purchase was a clear butterfly ornament, reminiscent of Shayla.


This past weekend, I sat amongst the throngs of people waiting in line to see the annual Lighted Truck Parade. I was unsure of what to expect as I had never participated in such an event, yet as soon as I heard the familiar honks of vehicles beeping Christmas tunes, I was intrigued. I stood in awe of the vibrant colours adorning each truck that passed by. The conversion of everyday means of transport into glowing ornaments on wheels, struck a chord. I was smiling from within…no words were needed as my head swirled with the radiance on display before me.



Later, I watched sail boats garnished with twinkle and dashes of light, skimming upon the inner harbour.  I felt within, my heart whisper for Shayla to be right beside me. My eyes lifted to the giant lit sequoia tree in front of the Legislative buildings.



















Beyond the brilliance of Christmas, I looked up at the stars nesting in the midst of the atmosphere.  While inhaling the winter’s night; I recalled how my daughter always went to the ends of the earth, to ensure I knew how much she loves me. 

Flashing Butterfly Pin I bought to shine the light...

 All of a sudden it occurred to me that in these hours of darkness was a giant present wrapped up from Shayla to her momma. She wanted me to experience the joyous moments of the season… as we had together for the past twenty years. 

Returning home, I stopped at two local stores and knew what my purchases were meant to be. A moment of elation occurred as it came to my mind that my dearest angel had given me a gift of Christmas. That my love for her no longer has me gaze deep into her massive drops of blue eyes, but that she surrounds me in luminous splendour of everything that shines.



By T.L. Alton

1 comment:

  1. If anyone knows the true meaning of Christmas it's you Tonya <3 It's all about the love and the memories and the traditions shared amongst loved ones. May you always keep the Christmas memories you have of Shayla in your heart forever. I can feel how Much Shayla loves you and has expressed to you and and still is to this day with the stories you have shared. She is trying to tell her Mama that she is still with you loves. Thank you for sharing your love and light with the world.
    Love you so very much! XOX

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)