Tuesday, December 16, 2014

On the Eight day of Christmas~ Sparkle






It is a wondrous vision, when the night is illuminated by the countless flows beaming across the earth; all in the form of Christmas lights. 

If someone inquired as to what the best part of the season was, my first response would be the nativity. My second would give recognition to those dedicated to the radiant splendour of luminosity. 

In 2011, Shayla and I were elated to include The Butchart Gardens on our itinerary of places to see during our 12 Days of Christmas. In previous holidays, we had been fortunate to go see the magnificence of Van Dusen Botanical Gardens in Vancouver, lit up in glory. 

Before my arrival last night to The Butchart Gardens, I contacted the Public Relations department and explained why I was attending. Due to the fact that I am not working, it was a kind gesture on their part to offer me a half-rate discount. Wherever my adventures have taken me, I have been fortunate at the generosity extended, while I pursue completion of my holiday journey. 

Once I was parked by guiding members of staff, I sat and looked directly across from me. There was another sign that my precious babygirl was leading the way! 


My first visit included a stop into the local Seed & Gift Store. I bought a few postcards and a pair of 3D visually enhancing glasses that turn everything psychedelic with the words: “Jingle Bells.”
Strolling past the bushes shrouded in brilliance, I stopped to listen to the carolers, filling the cool air with the warmth of their harmonies.

I gazed up to see a spectacular tree that reminded me of the extraordinary one in Avatar.


I had forgotten my map in the vehicle and those who know me well will realize I am absolutely terrible at reading them anyways. 

Suddenly, a young boy ran past me shouting out his glee over the discoveries he had found. Turns out- to my amusement- the theme of the gardens is “The 12 Days of Christmas.” It brought me joy to know that our twelve days of celebration were about to merge with the traditional ones.

I took in as much beauty as was visually possible; the winding pathways revealing a cascading stream of lights, every bit of water featuring some magical radiance, like the Ross Fountain in the Sunken Garden.

Beams of lighted water at Ross Fountain

 





At one point, I stood in awe of the swaths of colour draping nature and fixed my eyes upon trees that appeared to replicate, hundreds of fireflies. Although I know the beams were twinkling lights, for that moment, they were whatever my mind imagined.

There is nothing greater at the instant where the child inside of you emerges and openly declares gleefully the oooohs and ahhhhs of discovery! 

My steps took me into one more adolescence pastime that has never left. My love for the carousel is for the merry-go-round of diverse objects consisting of horses, pigs, zebras, tigers, or mythological creatures such as unicorns, which implore youngsters to climb aboard. 

Every time Shayla and I attended the I.P.E (Armstrong Fair), we would run as fast as our legs carried us to the modern day carousel, referred to as a roundabout by some. 

On one of my trips to London, I was overcome with pure bliss when I found one near the Thames River. My laughter could be heard throughout the market- with my smile also bearing evidence of the joy- I was experiencing. 

Carousel I rode in London

Last night, I approached the two young men at the Rose Carousel and asked if I could climb aboard? Upon ascending on a decorated horse, I was happy to see other young at heart adults, also taking part in revisiting a childhood favourite!



I spent several hours at The Butchart Gardens. Honestly, I could go back in a heartbeat, as I believe there is so much to see… one could re-discover the enchantment, over again. 



Nearing the end, I came across the Florentine bronze statue of Tacca the Boar. Legend has it for good luck, one needs to rub the boar’s snout. I did not pass up on the opportunity and as a gentleman saw me affectionately rubbing Tacca’s polished nose, he inquired if my wish was to come true? I grinned and replied… “Time will tell.” 



When I went to leave, I looked for someone to give my funky glasses to, as I wanted to share in how they made everything come ‘alive’ in their radiance.  It was not long before I saw two young girls, who appeared to be with their grandmother. I walked up to them and explained how I wanted to pass the glasses on. I asked the youngster to peer through them and soon her “Oh Wow, that’s so cool remark!”, ensured that I had given them to the right person. 

Wishing them a Merry Christmas, I walked back to my vehicle. As I am ‘directionally challenged,” I could not seem to find my Nissan. A parking attendant came over to help and asked if I remembered what sign I had parked near? I smiled thinking about the butterfly.  

Shayla created this and sent it to me years ago


I can only imagine from the heavens above, how Shayla had guided her momma thru the sparkles of the gardens…every step along the way. 

By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)