Friday, November 1, 2013

A Place of Enchantment







Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 
~ Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter 


Platform 3/4 located at King's Cross Railway Station in London
 In August 2011, Shayla and I went to Universal Studios-which we included in our trip to Disneyworld. One of our fantastic experiences was at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™.  In looking back, I was blessed to have spent the last time together as mother and daughter, in such a magical place!

 

This year, in May,  Paul booked a tour to the Warner Bros. Harry Potter experience. He understood how much it meant for me to be able to go to an extraordinary place, which connected me to my daughter. 



As a writer, I absorbed every inch of our tour and discovered endless segments of brilliance that is J.K. Rowling. From the creations of magnificent costumes, to the imagination made to fly, in the scenery that unfolded before me- I was left captivated!  



 

My quest to find somewhere to release a pebble was challenging, as there were no sources of water I could find. Then around the corner, a place leapt out at me and the opportunity to place a pebble for Shayla. One of her beloved Harry Potter characters was Dumbledore. The following is the obituary of the character.
"Albus Dumbledore was never proud or vain; he could find something to value in anyone, however apparently insignificant or wretched, and I believe that his early losses endowed him with great humanity and sympathy. I shall miss his friendship more than I can say, but my loss is as nothing compared to the wizarding world's. That he was the most inspiring and the best loved of all Hogwarts headmasters cannot be in question."

Elphias Doge  close friend of Dumbledore's

In reading this, I can understand why Shayla felt such a profound connection to the character. I decided to set the pebble near what was a replica of Dumbledore’s Headmaster’s quarters. Something happened with the pink stone that I placed to take a photo, but I am choosing not to share.  The experience made me realize the emotional healing of the rose quartz heart; no matter how fragile it is. 



Amongst the visions of J.K. Rowling, I saw my purpose as a writer, renewed. My respect for her as an award winning author has only magnified. Despite being refused, continually, when first trying to get Harry Potter published- she chose to take her rejection slips and turn them into a cloak of acceptance.
My admiration is imparted to a woman who once sat in a café-struggling in real life- she created a magical existence where good does overpower the bad in this world. 


Despite the many losses encountered in Harry Potter; the fragments of love, hope and light shine through the remarkable legacy carried on in our own imaginations. 

By T.L. Alton

1 comment:

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)