Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Palace for Shayla and the Fairies



The fairy poet takes a sheet
Of moonbeam, silver white;
His ink is dew from daisies sweet,
His pen a point of light.
~Joyce Kilmer


Shayla believed in fairies as much as she did in pots of gold at the end of the rainbow; she took baths with them, stomped in mud puddles with pixies and under a canopy of mushrooms, she saw their tiny homes. 


The past few weeks have seen me work on a special project as a way to honour her beautiful imagination and The Heart Pebble Movement. I found a lovely wooden chapel at the Michael’s Store and decided to create a lasting tribute to my daughter. 
 
I recall taking Shayla to Redwood Park for the first time and when she found out that amongst the spectacular trees, there resided a “Fairy Forest,” she was thrilled to go discover it’s magic. 


In decorating the Fairy Chapel, I put great detail and thought into how it would be created. I have mentioned in previous posts that Shayla actually means: “From the Fairy Palace.” On the outside, I put a sticker from La Nouba we saw at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. Then I added quotes about dancing and living life to the fullest. There was a key and star I added, in an addition to a hummingbird. Every single item has significant meaning to me; I am only providing a few details, as this project was very close to my heart. 


On the one side, I added a Fairy girl and also butterflies all around it. A simple cross and praying hands graces the front. Inside, I placed a beautiful picture of Shayla in a blue, scrolled frame. I glued a candle holder and added one single tea light- Shayla’s light illuminating the darkness. Mementos of Faith were sprinkled much like the fairy dust that later Shayla’s best friend, Chantel and I would intersperse in Redwood Park. Links to The Heart Pebble Movement were added and a small polished stone with the word “STRENGTH” was glued inside.





When Chantel arrived to go to the Fairy Forest, I shared with her the Chapel I had made in Shayla’s memory. She loved the entire project and was excited to place it in Redwood Park. Chantel had never been to this extraordinary forest and upon arriving we looked at other fairy doors and another small house that had been created by others. 

We searched for the right location to place the Fairy Chapel. When we came upon a large hollow trunk, I saw something sparkle. It was a red door placed inside the remains of the tree and had an “S” on it! Both of us knew that this was the place to set ours inside. 

I wanted the Chapel to sit on something and when I discovered a small granite stone- a mini version of the one at McKinley Reservoir; I was delighted to set it inside the trunk. On top we put the fairy creation and then built a roof out of moss, bark, leaves and sticks from the ground. 

We felt like warriors of the woods as we gazed upon the final setting of the Fairy Chapel. Chantel had the brilliant idea to shake over the dirt, our red and snow-like glitter, as if to follow the steps of the tiny pixies up to their new home. The butterfly sticks we had were set into the ground. We turned on the light inside and to the left side of the trunk; we put on a light where the tips of a butterfly pulsated a radiant glow. It was reflective of the colourful halo I know my sweet angel now wears. 


Next, we took bubble wands and let the iridescent spheres be carried by the light breeze, settling on the tree trunk and cascading upon the Fairy Chapel. Each of us took our fairy dust and sprinkled a small amount into the palms of one of our hands. Clasping them together, our feet sprung into the air as we chanted: “WE BELIEVE IN FAIRIES!”  





After, as we left under a veil of darkness, Chantel and I pondered over who would be the first to make the grand discovery of our offering to the woods. This fantastic remembrance of Shayla and her love for TINK -along with all fairies-is much like the trees keeping peace. With their branches extending into the real world and offering protection; this is our way to keep her memory alive. 




VIDEO: I HOPE YOU DANCE- LEE ANN WOMACK

By T.L. Alton

3 comments:

  1. very cool fairy palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this story is amazing, I read it twice, you did an amazing job on the chapel. I blew up every picture and examined every heartfelt detail that you put into it.
    I hope to visit Shaylas chapel one day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I embrace your kind words Michelle and dedication to the cause, while participating in The Heart Pebble Movement <3 Shayla's legacy lives on in many exceptional things in the world! This past year of enduring additional grief, I found a quote that truly lends itself to how I feel : "Frequently, in walking through our fear, we discover that the strength of our trepidation was out of sync with realism of our Faith." For you and the ones who are seeking Shayla's chapel, it will remain Forever in the hearts of Chantel and I, who were graced with such a brilliant day in placing it in the Fairy Forest for her <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)