Friday, January 4, 2013

The Pebbles that Bind



Everyone must leave something behind when they die... A person or a book or a painting or a pair of shoes; even a garden planted. Something your hand touched in some way so your soul has imprinted on it... as long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it, into something that's like you after you take your hands away…then after you die, people look at that tree you’ve planted, that book you read or something you have sewn and you're there.  ~ Ray Bradbury
 

Last summer, I hosted a fundraiser in memory of my daughter called, “ShaeHarmony.” This event took months of planning; organizing between my home at the coast and Kamloops, where Shayla had lived. I made several trips in order to garner sponsorship and donated items. Looking back, what my purpose was in holding this function and the end result is clear to me now. I gained far more support in certain people I met, than some of those I had counted on.

Rather than share entirely about the day itself, I want to reflect on things connected to Shayla that brought such joy into my life. While there were many people who supported and encouraged ShaeHarmony, it was beyond that day which made all the difference.

In anticipation of conveying Shayla’s care-free spirit, I sought out the assistance of local youth who were passionate about the message of peace, love and hope. I briefly met with them and shared some of my daughter’s story; putting into words Shayla’s vision of helping others. I mentioned her passion for pebbles, rainbows and butterflies. I left with this bright young bunch of kids, a blank canvas and said I would be back in a few days to pick it up. While I could see their eagerness, I was not expecting to receive a phone call only a day later, to say the mural was already done! I had a friend of Shayla’s pick it up and when I first saw the finished project, I was overwhelmed. The artistic design each of them had contributed was brilliant! From a vibrant peace symbol, to hand-prints, a pathway of pebbles and deco glass, interwoven together, I was impressed by all of their efforts! There were words of inspiration including: Be Free and Everyone Is Unique. The youth had essentially captured the essence of Shayla in this radiant mural! It brought me much joy in knowing that after the event, it has found a home at the local Canadian Mental Health Association Clubhouse in Kamloops. My daughter’s link to this organization went as far back to when she was growing up and my involvement with CMHA. 


While preparing the displays for ShaeHarmony, I was looking for items that transmitted the light of my babygirl. Before Shayla graduated from High School, she informed me her intentions of getting a tattoo, in memory of a dear friend, who had passed away suddenly. At first, I was not keen on this idea and even tried to talk her out if it. However, I soon found myself holding her hand and offering reassurance, as her ankle was tattooed with a red and black nautical star. The significance of this was that her friend had the same tattoo. Shayla then added the word HOPE underneath it. One day, while I was shopping in Superstore in Langley, I spotted a large star that was plain burgundy. I spoke with the Manager and after sharing with him what it was for, he kindly donated it. I took it home and spent hours, repainting it red and black, and then adding the word Hope on one side. On the day of my event, it was proudly displayed, front and centre. Now, it resides on the wall of our guest room. 


Another highlight was a table set up with plain river rock pebbles. At the foot of the table were three glass vases with coloured water. Those who wanted to could come and write something on a pebble and place it into the water. These were gathered afterwards and I took them home. Over time, I have kept my promise to release each of them into a stream, river or ocean. This photograph, taken after ShaeHarmony, is my profile picture for my blog and a reflection of what The Heart Pebble Movement means to me. 


At the end of a long, emotionally charged day, I gathered people together to help release 21 Painted Lady Butterflies. They came from a company in Langley- Flutterbuys- who were kind enough to assist in providing and supporting this special day for my daughter. In the background, on a CD- Mariah Carey`s voice sang to the melody of `Butterfly. ` This symbolic gesture would see the cycle of life continue… in these fluttering creatures who set out to reproduce, transform and change themselves into visions of nature`s beauty. 


One of the lasting legacies that occurred after ShaeHarmony, came in November-when by invitation- Shayla`s father, Dave and I were at the campus grounds of Thompson Rivers University. It was during the day and we were looking around for a framed photograph of Shayla, we were told graced The Gathering Place. While no picture was found at this building, we decided to go to the recreation and social facility- Central Rez. This is where Shayla would go hang out; especially when she lived on campus for her first year. We were greeted by Tammy Desrochers of On Campus Housing. We explained who we were and inquired whether a photo of our daughter was anywhere? She was taken aback by the news of Shayla`s passing and offered to place a picture up, if I sent her one. As soon as I could, I emailed her one of my favourite snapshots of our angel, her hands in the shape of a heart; smiles and all…it was the one we knew Shayla would want to have hung up in her memory. Shortly after sending it, I was blessed with a lovely display that honours my daughter at the University she spent three years, studying. Tammy had taken the time to put her heart into a beautiful tribute to Shayla. Her choice to use willow branches is poignant. Shayla’s picture is graced by three containers of them -“Willow's weeping stance reflects its association with grief. The willow will allow the person to move through many levels of sadness, express the pain though tears and grief, and, by moving through these emotions, facilitate healing.” 


We are deeply grateful for Tammy to consider our loss and honour a young woman, whose many legacies are felt, seen and touched by the hearts of those who knew Shayla.

This spring, as I wander the forest where once Shayla and I held hands, chanted silly mantra`s and our laughter echoed in the woods, I will be open to all that surrounds me. I hope to see the vivid display of scenery, much like the painted mural. Under the veil of darkness, I will seek the brilliance of the stars, a reminder of my babygirl`s tattoo of Hope. As my hands dip into a stream, I will look for the glints of a unique pebble. Maybe if the countryside shares with me; I will even be graced by the company of a Painted Lady Butterfly, perched on top of a willow tree.

By T L. Alton

8 comments:

  1. Tonya you are a remarkable woman! It amazes me how you find the strength and energy to write like you do. It is so wonderful:) ShaeHarmony was a beautiful event to be a part of and I think we were all inspired from it! Because you created ShaeHarmony I had the lovely chance to meet you and I am so lucky! Thank you for sharing your passion and creativity with the world!!

    It's so awesome that so many people are doing beautiful stuff and memorials in memory of your lovely daughter Shayla! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gratitude is given to friends like you, who continue to make the effort and have such love and support as I go another day, without my daughter in my daily life. Never have I been able to enjoy my journey without some type of challenges, yet I persevere. Meeting you was one of the best outcomes from ShaeHarmony! I embrace those who also have connected to Shayla through this special movement in her honour. Thank you as always for sharing and your love <3

      Delete
    2. Tonya we all love you so much! You're so special. It is an honour and blessing to have met you and been a part of ShaeHarmony!! An amazing experience it was! Thank you again and thank you for being you. Love You Always!! HUGS <3

      Delete
  2. You worked very hard on getting eveything which was in your control to go right and made us all proud of you & of being part of a special day in shayla's honour . At the end of it all someone special to shayla got help thats what she would have wanted . thank you for your great words keep them coming i love you paul xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Three words to show me that my sacrifice and sharing matter! When Shayla walked into a room, she lit it up like a firework! As her momma, what I am doing is ensuring that every step of the way, I am NEVER giving up!! Now, my babygirl shines from above and she has blessed me with a new-found group of friends, linked to those who honestly care about my well-being. I am full of gratitude for you loving me for who I am...whether a heart-broken mother or someone who Stands Up for injustice, your friendship means the world to me <3

      Delete
  4. :-) My dear friend, you never cease to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on the same level of respect and admiration for one another! Long ago, you were the first person to BELIEVE in me, and my dreams of writing. You gave solid advice as someone who has the skills and talent to offer me your personal experiences. In being an inspiration I have been able to remove the barriers and replace it with courage that is rooted in my Faith. Life has never been easy for me and yet what strife does not understand is that in times of despair, I have Always risen above without letting anyone drag me down! Your friendship through it all is something I cherish Always!I read your one sentence and it conveys so much :) Thank you for letting me know I continue to reach out in a positive way!

      Delete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)