Sunday, December 30, 2012

Beyond the Books

 Teachers who inspire realize there will always be rocks in the road ahead of us...whether stumbling blocks or stepping stones; it all depends on how we use them.  ~Author Unknown

In 2007, I was accepted into the Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) program at Okanagan College. The transition back into school was not easy, as I had to apply for funding and make a solid case for my return to educate myself. Now in my thirties, the challenges I faced were enormous. I had to prove my desire to return to school was worthwhile the financial support I would receive. After a lengthy process and many hours dedicated to my goals, I was approved for a grant and started the TESL program in autumn.
Dini Steyn, born in Holland and raised in South Africa, was the facilitator of our group, and the one who coordinated discussions. Her style of lessons focussed on each of us being treated as equals, while our immersion into a variety of cultures, helped us as a teaching tool.
Even as we prepared ourselves for every class, one memory of Dini stands out amongst the rest. We arrived in class and settled into our seats.  Our teacher spoke of the many cultures that are part of our country and the struggles each newcomer to Canada encounters.  To help us better understand what it feels like to come to a foreign land and try to assimilate, Dini informed us that she would be teaching us her own language for the first part of the class. Without further delay, she spoke to all of us in Afrikaans and acted like we were suppose to understand. It did not take long for the sinking feeling of confusion and helplessness to overwhelm me. I looked at my peers and also saw the look of bewilderment on their faces.  
Afterwards, our teacher spoke of a four-part television series with facilitator, participant guide and website she managed entitled, Walk a Mile: The Immigrant Experience in Canada. © 2000. Open Learning Agency. We watched a segment with keen interest. I had always been mindful of other cultures, but naive in how placing an order for food can become a distressing task to those unfamiliar with the complex English language. This one day of instruction has stayed with me and I have used the knowledge I gained from Dini, in many ways; especially since relocating to the coast.
My teacher’s methods of teaching have instilled in me skills that are conveyed in my daily writing. If ever I find myself in need of diversity and wanting to tap into the integration of our society, I fondly recall what I was taught by Dini.
One of the other highlights in TESL was when Dini gave permission for Shayla to attend one of the classes, where I was giving a lesson. Seeing the pride emitted from my daughter, as she watched me teach, was a moment I will cherish always.
It has been five years since my classroom days were filled with idioms, avoidance of the passive voice and the importance of laughter. Yet the communication has remained between Dini and me. We transitioned from teacher-student, to becoming friends. Her support of my aspirations, while always maintaining an encouraging perspective, has seen me through many ordeals.

It was when I suffered the greatest loss of my life that I found my former teacher and now friend, a vast supporter as I grieved for my daughter.  Dini attended both the Celebration of Life for Shayla on December 12, 2011 and the recent Candle Light Memorial at McKinley Park. She embraced The Heart Pebble Movement by placing two special ‘pebbles’ I gave her from Shayla’s collection. The first one was immersed at the Oxbow Campsite- one of Dini’s favourite campsites in Penticton, British Columbia. The surrounding Skaha Lake also holds a connection to Shayla, as we use to live in the area and she would play in the waters.  The other pebble was placed recently in the Caribbean while Dini enjoyed a cruise, along the Atlantic Ocean. Opalite is actually sea opal glass and has a brilliant iridescent hue to it. It is a stone of personal power, known to improve one's sense of self-worth. Along with these empowering qualities, it also engenders the related quality of inner strength. Emotionally, Opalite is useful when undergoing great change, as it assists in making smooth transitions. I have learned long ago not to question the function or travels of these pebbles, as they always seem to find the right person.  My friend has inspired me, comforted me and given of herself while I mourn. In the elements of the Opalite, I see a mirror reflection of Dini’s attributes; a person who is dedicated to instilling one's sense of self and the inner strength she enjoys as a teacher. Now when I look back, it is with gratitude, for the many lessons I learned were beyond the books and stumbling blocks.

By T L. Alton

2 comments:

  1. i remember back then too when you were in college doing this course you told me of the great teacher Dini was to you & now how good of a friend she has been with her support for years . Thank you Dini, you truely are agreat person for all you have done for Tonya .Happy new year . love paul xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hun, for your kind words! Dini continues to grace my life and extend her friendship to me, which I am deeply grateful for! XOX Loving You Always, Tonya

      Delete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)