Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Touching the Past-Welcoming the Future

Beautiful lunch and gift at Sheril and Jay's home
On New Year’s Eve- during the day- I was invited over to the home of my friends, Sheril and Jay, for lunch. Amongst the delicious plate of food served to me, I found us engaging in meaningful conversation. Sheril conveyed how much she was looking forward to taking me to a revered stretch of beach, in a place called Witty’s Lagoon Regional Park


In the past year and a half of being by myself, I continued to seek my own adventures and travel around. In doing so, my feet have touched the grains of sand warmed by the flares of sunlight, welcoming a Maui aubade. I have caressed the glistening formations of smooth pebbles along the continual loop of beaches and highway- beckoning me onward, to a grove of Sitka spruce trees. My lips have been enticed with flavoursome delicacies such as a Pork Lau Lau plate lunch, shaved coconut and MAUNA LOA milk chocolate macadamia nuts. While last summer, I took pleasure in filling my Farmer’s Market basket with plump, juicy local berries, freshly pulled carrots and curled Alliums.

Going on the venture with Sheril, helped to grasp the words of someone who opened my eyes to the reality of my freedom. They recently expressed to me the life experiences I took part in… never would have occurred if my world was still attached to another. 

From the moment I sat in Sheril’s vehicle, I knew it would carry my heart out to the open sea, our destination of solitude. The scenic drive permitted us to chat, while my friend pointed out areas of interest and the sprawling farmland, which beckoned us onward.
Once we were parked, Sheril continued to describe the area in great detail and I could feel her passion for the splendour of Witty’s Lagoon

Sauntering along, in the midst of the dicey mud path, I was reminded of my need for rubber boots. Nearing the ocean, I inhaled the brackish bouquet of marine life. Welcoming me amongst the murmurs of the various tree lines, were ducks, seagulls, and a playful seal. 

As I stood on the uneven, moss covered, formations of layered rock- it was as if Mother Nature was holding me up- with scenery dipped in her beauty. 

We decided to stroll amongst the paths encompassed by Douglas fir, Arbutus, and Broadleaf Maple referred to as Paddle-Tree. Not long after, our footsteps took us to a different aperture, overlooking the rippling, frigid waters. 

On top of the earth, attached to a wooden stump, was an intricate display of an exceptionally unique Christmas tree- inspired by nature. Tendrils of red ribbon attached to sea glass and pieces of cord tied to shells, all fastened to sections of driftwood resonating the beauty of the season. On top was a woven star made from branches, spouting greenery and a small, white, Sea star. 

Sheril standing next to the creative Christmas tree on display
One can only imagine how many brilliant photo opportunities the Christmas tree has offered to people who have discovered its simple allurement. 

Returning back to our first stop, Sheril let the glorious unfolding portrait of life settle within me. Taking a seat on a bench, overlooking Witty’s Lagoon Regional Park, my friend watched as I let everything in my presence settle within.

Shortly after, we both were ready to take part in the meaningful cause, connected to Shayla. I had brought with me a precious stone for release. 



My friend had in her hand a piece of crystal with glints of sparkle. We both welcomed the opportunity to do one last release of the year. 



What was said is always something I like to keep private, unless I choose to openly share. 



Before I went to toss my polished stone that I believe to be Tree Agate, I noticed a crane. This made me pause as there is a strong connection between me and the illimitable Blue Herons, which I have encountered many times. The symbolism of the bird on a Crane Totem signifies loyalty, intellect and long life, where they are highly respected. Their graceful expression in full flight is a revelation of an individual’s own life, echoing the past is behind while focusing on the future. The bird’s devotion to its companion is unyielding as it mates for life. Years ago, Shayla and I had our poetry in print together. On the cover is the image of a crane under the title, “Solitude.” Seeing this eye-catching vision of a crane, whose silhouette was mirrored in the ocean, is an indication of the year ahead; one that will be ‘whole-again,’ no longer defined by the incredulous. 



After lofting our offerings, the smiles we displayed were indicative of the glorious moments we shared at Witty’s Lagoon. On our drive back to her home, Sheril took me through the charming area of Metchosin; a coastal community of over 5,000 people. Nestled within the district is Metchosin Farmers Market. According to Sheril, it is a place I need to frequent this year, as the abundance of natural organic, quality food, draws people from all over. 

Before we parted, I thanked my dear friend for revealing to me, the magnificence of an area I had yet to discover. Driving away, I thought about the insightfulness I received when I fixed my eyes on the refinement of the crane. How- much like this elegant bird- the only sprint I am allowing my feet to do is to run, arms wide open, into my future.

Something from the past, Welcoming my future
By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)