Friday, January 16, 2015

Gobsmacked



We were two ships in the night
Passing by in the pale moonlight and capsized...
We were two ships in the night
Hellbent on trying to survive and capsized...

Video:  Capsized  http://youtu.be/DjYqdmtRSlI
By Alicia Moore and Dallas Green (You + Me)

I have been entertained lately by true stories of inspiration. Ordinary people -who find themselves in myriad circumstances- of unbelievable adversity. It is natural for me to be drawn to those whose limitations are exceeded and their imaginations stretched, in order to survive.

I wanted to put my mind at ease for a few hours; therefore I decided to go see the film, “WILD”- based on the memoir by Cheryl Strayed-Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. Twenty minutes into the movie, I felt parts of my life story were being flashed on screen. In trying to shut my mind off from one element of my own journey, I was front row and centre in watching one of the characters, reach thru the screen and flick at my delicate heart. 



While I have no intention of providing spoilers or giving a full review, what I will say is that 1,100 miles can transfigure the route, your own internal clock is set to.

In the movie a snippet of a song is featured and brought me back to a time when Shayla and I belted out the lyrics from 4 Non Blondes “What’s Going On

… and I try, oh my god do I try
I try all the time, in this institution
And I pray, oh my god do I pray
I pray every single day...
For a revolution

Midway thru singing, we would glance at once another and burst into laughter, knowing we would not be getting booked for gigs anytime soon.
What was profound in “WILD” is the rawness of Cheryl exposing the untamed lifestyle she spiralled into. She was not fearful of disclosure- nor did she avert the disgrace or judgment that may ensue from those reading her novel or watching the film. For this mother of two, the term wild for her meant both internally and the trek she embarked on. 



As I sat only a few rows back, I thought nothing could startle me, yet scene after scene, done in a beautifully unrefined cinematic form had me gobsmacked! It made me wonder of my own life story and how it would probably have the audience praying for my soul or walking out in disgust. Yet, inside each of us is a darker layer than the caked masks we wear, in order to be accepted. 

Earlier in the week, I attended an event called The Flame, which was hosted by Deborah Williams, an Award winning actor and one of the creators of Mom's the Word.

The Flame is a storytelling series that features real people sharing their personal true stories in front of a live audience.  Since its inception in 2009, The Flame has flourished and grown into a wildly popular Vancouver and Victoria event that packs venues to the rafters. Storytellers included Comedian Wes Borg, Actor / Director Lina de Guevara, Beverly Duthie, Storyteller Faye Mogensen, Award-winning Author Monique Gray Smith, and Composer / Playwright Bruce Ruddell.


Every storyteller evoked a series of passionate tales, with the audience vying for more!
During intermission I introduced myself to the author of “Tilly-A Story of Hope and Resilience,” Monique Gray Smith. She has won the Burt Award for First Nations, Métis and Inuit Literature. The author, through her own business Little Drum Consulting is an accomplished consultant, writer and international speaker. 

 

What captivated me was her openness of sharing her healing journey for over twenty years and the declaration of her sobriety. I sat enthralled of her description of pebbles, stones and taking down a brick wall. Of all the speakers, Monique’s seemed to fill every corner of The Belfry Theatre

As I shared with the author about Shayla, we exchanged as mothers, tears for a life taken far too soon. Afterwards, Monique reached into her purse and mentioned she had been at a high school earlier, doing a reading from Tilly. Out came a copy with a few corners folded over and she gifted her copy of the book to me. I was deeply humbled as she wrote on the inside: “Many Blessings to You! May you experience your own strength and courage within these pages.” ~ Monique.
 
In my hands, I now held a book, which only a few hours earlier in the day had been read to eager minds.  When I sat to discover the stories within each chapter, I found amongst the pages, enigmatic characters that have you either rooting or admonishing them. That the ugly side of racism existed on the streets of Kelowna and the teaching of a medicine wheel had me re-connected to Kamloops. 

I have been invited by Monique to attend yoUnlimited which are conferences, events and workshops. It’s really thoughtfully created experiences where you can learn something new, connect with someone, or hear something that might change your life.

 
 There is a phenomenal bond between women where each of us contains packets of exceptional treasures from within. When brought together, the fusion of sisterhood and allegiance is unprecedented.  For me, the pathway of my quest-freedom from strife- has been paved with the sodality of my friends. 


As I write this, the disconcerting images in the film “WILD” have settled within the roots of my own spirit... with something I need to entwine myself around. 



I think if the tendrils of support could have reached Cheryl Strayed, she may have benefited from them earlier in dealing with her own loss. Yet this would have erased the thousands of footsteps she needed to take, in order to release her wild out into the world. In the midst of this woman’s chaos, it was all about realigning her journey- to discover the hidden gifts within her own strength of mind. 

On a personal level, this once caged bird, who spent years nursing broken wings, has found herself taking flight…in hopes for more solitude to overcome the fear itself of Letting Go

By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)