Monday, October 28, 2013

All about the Night Moves





“Let your Imagination wander; poke around in the attic of your mind, where you’ve stashed away some dreams. What new thing might you want to try?”- Martha Whitmore Hickman~ Healing After Loss 






After Shayla died, I could not even fathom stepping away from the shelter of my home and face the unpredictable world outside. Yet, I felt it was compulsory of me to do things that made me feel I was still alive- if only in short intervals.

Whether sauntering along the Oceanside, or sitting in a park where Shayla and I had enjoyed each other’s company, I clung to the fragments of our relationship that had been suspended in the time.

When I heard about the Richmond Night Market, I was first drawn by the bright yellow duckies that graced the marketplace. My daughter had collected a few over the years and she loved ones that were in the character of something, like a Betty Boop ducky or sailor ducky. When I was in London, I found a cute dressed up one and knew I would get it to put on my daughter’s shelf of stuff I had in memory of her.

LONDON DUCKIE


Attending the Richmond Market proved to be a great decision, as I was able for one evening, to focus on myself and find enjoyment in a night out. Once inside and walking about, I was drawn to a glowing pink tree. It was a wishing tree and people had clipped their paper hopes onto the twinkling lights.


 
As I walked around the many canopies of food set up, the aromas of sizzling pork, deep fried squid and chocolate dipped treats, all goaded me into buying something to eat. I picked an arrangement of things I had not eaten before and pondered on what to have for dessert. I was walking past a food stall when I saw a crowd gathering around a man whose hands were in a bucket of what looked like icing sugar. He was stretching and pulling something that seemed to be clear taffy, immersed in white powder. I watched in amazement how after a lengthy time of drawing out the candy, his hands took the treat and let it fall into wisps of fine strands, which made it look like a mini harp being played. He then passed small pieces over to a woman, who took it and wrapped inside a mixture of coconut, seeds and chopped peanuts. Although the line-up and wait was long, I knew I had to try it. The taste is much like soft nougat with a soft cotton candy feel once you have eaten a piece. It was worth the time spent in simply watching how it is made. 





Afterwards, I looked at the many booths selling their wares and saw on the main stage, several performances, which were fantastic to see. It is one of the things I miss terribly about my daughter- watching her freely express through the beauty of dance, the graceful movements as she sashayed across the floor.  

I was walking back towards the exit, when I saw a young boy from Burnaby, music blaring; magically create incredible moves with his Yo-Yo. Thirteen year old Harrison Lee is a champion at what he does and enters competitions all over, including travelling to Prague next year, to compete. He leaves everyone who witnesses his signature yo-yo moves, in awe and wonder as he has mastered his craft. 

Photo: Vancouver Sun

The evening was something I thoroughly enjoyed and if you have some patience for line-ups and crowds, it is definitely worth checking it out. I would highly recommend next year, taking a trip to the Richmond Night Market and exploring for yourself the food and things to see, where all of your senses come alive in a fusion of cultural experiences.
This year, the market operated from May to October 14 and is now closed. A link to their website is provided: http://richmondnightmarket.com/


By T.L. Alton

1 comment:

  1. very cool i will go there when opens up again great adventure in trying new things

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)