Saturday, September 14, 2013

Inseparable



The Example
 Here’s an example from…A Butterfly;
 That on a rough, hard rock…Happy can lie;
 Friendless and all alone…On this unsweetened stone.
Now let my bed be hard… No care take I;
 I’ll make my joy like this…Small Butterfly;
Whose happy heart has power…To make a stone a flower.  
By William H. Davies. Louis Untermeyer, (1885–1977). Modern British Poetry. 1920

In this blog posting is the embodiment of the metaphorical illustration of the butterfly. This winged creature freely implores us to surrender to the changes in our lives. Throughout its short life span, the butterfly embraces its transformation, with unyielding bravery.





Shayla represented these stunning reflections of nature in her life on this earth and after her passing. I have shared before how she sent a heavenly message while I was mourning her loss. Sitting alone on a beach in Maui, I was there to honour her on what would have been her 22nd Birthday. Gazing upwards, tears scattered on my cheeks, I saw the following image of grace, beauty and love. 




This year, in springtime, I travelled to London. My intention was to take in sight-seeing and place pebbles all over England, in Shayla’s memory. My adventures led me to the Natural History Museum. Outside of the museum was an exhibit called Sensational Butterflies. Once I walked inside the butterfly house, I was able to stand amongst the brilliance of nature’s creation. I casually strolled through the area and was in awe when butterflies began to perch all over me. I was mesmerized by their vibrant colours and absorbed every bit of the incredible experience into my broken heart.  I stepped closer to explore in a glass enclosure, the enthralling life cycle of these remarkable insects.  I was intrigued by their embryonic cycle from an egg to caterpillar, then the transformation from chrysalis to spectacular butterfly. 




As a blue morpho from South America landed on my skirt, I thought of my daughter.  I pondered how her life was comparable to a butterfly; being vulnerable as a young girl who was bullied for being ‘different’- to finding her inner beauty and strength- enabling her to spread her wings and fly. 




In many cultures, it is fascinating to know that the butterfly is associated with the soul, which further connects our representation of faith and living things with it. Shayla explored many aspects of herself as she experienced shifts in her own life. The pathway to Heaven for my daughter was forged with her dedication as a Christian, yet she was intrigued by other cultures, religions and her own Aboriginal roots. Unknown to me, was the link of the memorial granite stone I had created in my daughter’s memory to Christianity- which regards the butterfly as a symbol for the soul. I further learned the butterfly is illustrated on ancient Christian tombs, as Christ has been shown embracing a butterfly in Christian artwork. Long before I discovered this-on my daughter’s marker I had a butterfly etched upon the front of it.



 Reflecting on this, I hold close to my heart in its correlation and think it is rather fitting for a young girl, whose transformation was only complete on her final ascent.




By T.L. Alton  

1 comment:

  1. That is very cool i thought that was when we went to london great pictures .Very touching and too true.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)