Saturday, July 4, 2015

Unbounded Moirai








The death of a child is like a stone cast into the stillness of a quiet pool; the concentric ripples of despair sweep out in all directions, affecting many, many people. ~ J. DeFrain


There have been cycles of changes in my life since Shayla passed away. Some were foreseen- while others ripped away my sense of security- in those I believed I could count on, to be there for me. 
Through my turmoil, I discovered a new sagacity of what defines “family,” all the while holding in my arms the passing through of loved ones, who departed and felt like they have died to me. 


The crest fallen tears have been wiped away by stranger’s hugs… amidst the losses bestowed upon me, is a sense of belonging. Often the feeling of a puzzle piece being crammed into the wrong opening, sums up how it is to be amongst some people, who I once felt part of their lives. 

As a result of the many signs I have received after my daughter’s death, I am open to the realms of possibilities in which Shayla believed, while here on earth. 

Last year on Christmas Day, I met an extraordinary woman whose life would intersect with mine in remarkable ways. 

My plans were to see the movie “Unbroken.” I had a theater picked out, yet due to me getting lost, I could never imagine what it is that I would find. Judy and her partner Marc, who were in the city, visiting from Campbell River- where they reside- also wanted to see “Unbroken.” They were supposed to be at a different theater and yet, all three of us crossed paths at the same location, at the same time, on the same day.

As we entered the theater, neither of us had any notion that our daughters, Shayla and Lindsay, had brought us together in a significant manner. As we sat down, it was not long before we discovered that each of us had a daughter who had died young. 

When sharing about Shayla’s tragic passing on December 12th, Judy’s expression changed. She revealed that same day was Lindsay’s birthday.  I spoke more of my bereavement journey and of the grief support I had received. When mentioning, “The Compassionate Friends of Canada,” Judy explained how she belonged to the same non-profit organization, where she lived. 

Sitting in the theater together, we were partly in shock over the similarities; as well we drew such great comfort in them. 

Watching “Unbroken”- a movie of suffering, sacrifice, courage and faith, saw us relate to certain aspects of the movie. 



Afterwards, we exchanged contact information and now, nearly eight months later I sit here writing about my “Sister of Heart” as I lovingly call her. 








There have been endless emails shared over time, messages of love for our treasured daughters, sorrow over their deaths and an understanding that only a mother whose child has passed away, can truly empathize. 

We have become close over our personal struggles, along the way, trusting one another with our darker moments. 


Beyond the boundaries of our friendship has flourished, a compassion for what we have endured and continue to live through, on a daily basis. 

One day, after checking my mail, I discovered I had a parcel to pick-up. I cannot express how much happiness it brings, when I find someone has sent me, something in the mail. Even a card can uplift my soul~ in the love and care~ in which it was sent. I saw it was from Judy and carefully opened the box to discover marvelously crafted angel wings. Judy would later tell me how she had the same sparkling wings and wanted to gift me one as a present, which now holds my precious heart of Selenite stone. 



This spring, saw much disorder in my life, yet when I needed help in ways that go outside of the realms of camaraderie; it was Judy who did not hesitate to give more than a helping hand. Upon receiving a parcel from her, I wept tears of joy over what the package contained. I rejoiced in her generous, kind heart and cherished the grace she extended to me. For me, the one gift is private between us dear friends, yet within the box was also a dragonfly décor ornament, which came with a brilliantly written poem. Judy had no idea my nickname was related to these beautiful creatures. She wrote: 

The dragonfly I bought two weeks ago with you in mind; I didn't know that you like dragonflies, but I thought it was beautiful and reminded me of you ~ Judy 



In return, I sent a bundle of my finest Gypsum Rae Photography Notecards, along with my sincere gratitude for all she has helped me with.
Not long after, I received an email from Judy which she shared:

I said I was your friend no matter what you needed! I will always try to be there for you and this is my way of showing you that we are friends for life and I know that if I needed anything, you would have my back too!

In May, after an exchange of more emails, I received the following from my Sister of Heart: 

I manage a dollar store in Willow point, on the outskirts of Campbell River. It's a really nice view from the store as I can see the ocean. When I walk across the highway, I sit on the park bench and look at the water… I will definitely buy a special Gem to put in the water here for Shayla.  



















A short time passed before I was sent a photograph of the shimmering stone, which Judy had chosen, for my babygirl. She let me know when the ripples had been made- granting me peace- this amazing release had phenomenal connections. 

As bereaved mothers, we feel our missed daughters; Shayla and Lindsay, made it possible for us to meet on Christmas day. There are scars upon our fragile hearts for the sorrowful wounds we have encountered, so they gifted us a friendship~ bound in healing. 

Even though we only met once in person, our closeness goes further than our immeasurable losses. The stems of flowers once collected by our children, now have scattered seeds of hope. 



In the closing of our emails, we always sign: Friends through the Light and Love of Our beautiful daughters Shayla and Lindsay…with the understanding that grief’s finest melody, is played between the heartstrings of two people.

By T L Alton

2 comments:

  1. Mindy Lynn HermanJuly 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM

    Tonya what an interesting story about how you met Judy and her partner Marc, on Christmas Day. It must have helped to know that you are not alone and not the only person who faces similar challenges. It seems like it was meant to be that you met Judy and her partner Marc that day. It's nice to know that you have that support. I love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every person that has come into my life has imparted something. Thank you for conveying your sincere thoughts about me meeting Judy and Marc on what is an emotional time for bereaved parents- the holiday season. Judy has a loving heart and has been a constant source of love and support. For those much like Judy, you my dear friend and others, who have taken part in this passionate cause, you are not only honouring Shayla, but also the bonds of friendship. I Love You Always XOX

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment. Remember after you have written something, please click on the options given, press continue and then click on PUBLISH. Thank You :)